• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House buried in my back yard (South Carolina)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vaya

I am currently having an in-ground pool installed and they (pool folks) have found a giant hole full of debris. It seems that there was a house (w/pool) here previously but was demolished and buried in my backyard. I was never told this when I closed one the house last year. The estimate of trash (parts of foundation, bricks, wood, vinyl pool, pipes, etc) is more than 20 truckloads. Spoke to the developer and he told me to get estimate for removal and provide to him, that he will cut check. He also said that once he provides check that he provide a 'statement of release' for me to sign to absolve him of future issues. Should I get legal counsel even if he fixes this? How sure am I that there isn't debris under my home? Are there any other things I should be aware of?

Thanks,
vaya

lwpat

More than likely a hole was dug and the debris is confined to that specific area. When they start excavating you should be able to tell. It would be much better for the developer to hire the grading company to remove the material. Then someone independent should verify that all of it has been removed and replaced with satisfactory material.

CALIF-LAWPRO61

vaya said:
I am currently having an in-ground pool installed and they (pool folks) have found a giant hole full of debris. It seems that there was a house (w/pool) here previously but was demolished and buried in my backyard. I was never told this when I closed one the house last year. The estimate of trash (parts of foundation, bricks, wood, vinyl pool, pipes, etc) is more than 20 truckloads. Spoke to the developer and he told me to get estimate for removal and provide to him, that he will cut check. He also said that once he provides check that he provide a 'statement of release' for me to sign to absolve him of future issues. Should I get legal counsel even if he fixes this? How sure am I that there isn't debris under my home? Are there any other things I should be aware of?

Thanks,
vaya

My response:

Congratulations!

Your initial post was copied and just became a Runner-Up in the FreeAdvice end-of-the-year, "Best Trailer Trash Story" contest, being held on December 15, 2006 and the winner will be chosen by popular vote on that date!

Thank you! Make sure to come back on December 15, 2006 to see if you're our Grand Prize winner! Our 2004 Winner walked away with a brand new Chevrolet "Corvette" convertible!

Yes, I know it's incredible, and I know you're blushing with pride - - but, believe it or not, your post could be our Grand Prize winner for 2006! We're giving away TERRIFIC PRIZES! For further Details, Rules, and Prize list, click on this link for more information:

http://petit.philou.free.fr/

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">