• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller obligations to Buyer/Dealer at Trade In?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbob72

What is the name of your state? CA
Hello All
I have a $20K car which I want to sell which I was told by the dealer I bought it from had slight frame damage which I accepted as the the car drove well, with no visible problems. It contunues to drive well 12 months on, and is in otherwise excellent condition. Am I obliged by law to let the dealer know of the frame damage if I want to trade the car in?
Thanks
J

C

CALIF-LAWPRO45

jbob72 said:
What is the name of your state? CA
Hello All
I have a $20K car which I want to sell which I was told by the dealer I bought it from had slight frame damage which I accepted as the the car drove well, with no visible problems. It contunues to drive well 12 months on, and is in otherwise excellent condition. Am I obliged by law to let the dealer know of the frame damage if I want to trade the car in?
Thanks
J

My response:

No. It's the same, too, if you buy a used car from a dealer without a warranty. The guiding phrase, on both ends of the deal, is "Caveat Emptor."

IAAL

jbob72

Thanks. But what for example if it is asked in YES/NO on a form asking the information? Are you then obliged to say Yes?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">