• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stuck in contract to pay off training costs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vdog12

What is the name of your state? California

I am a Registered Nurse that signed a contract with my hospital for 18 months in order to receive training and subsequently "pay back" the training costs. The atmosphere has been very hostile, the training subpar and have been put in dangerous situations such as being assigned cases that I have never even seen.

I have been told by numerous long time nurses in this area that this is a rite of passage and that when they trained they used to come home crying every day. The surgeons are very condescending and when told that I am new and unfamiliar with their types of surgeries get belittled and called an amateur. I was also advised that I should not say I have never done these cases before and just sort of fake it. I have gone to management with these concerns, am having numerous medical problems now that I have never had because of the stress and anxiety and have now decided to go back to my old job within the same hospital system.

This was not a great learning experience and feel that the hospital in a sense did not live up to their contract to "make it the best place to work". I do not want to go to a competitor I just want to get back to being happy and doing the work that I love doing. I feel so trapped in this contract. I feel like I have tried to make this a better work environment but it still makes me feel miserable.

Any advice or money to pay off the contract?

VWhat is the name of your state?

turbowray

i can only tell you what ive been told

vdog12 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I am a Registered Nurse that signed a contract with my hospital for 18 months in order to receive training and subsequently "pay back" the training costs. The atmosphere has been very hostile, the training subpar and have been put in dangerous situations such as being assigned cases that I have never even seen.

I have been told by numerous long time nurses in this area that this is a rite of passage and that when they trained they used to come home crying every day. The surgeons are very condescending and when told that I am new and unfamiliar with their types of surgeries get belittled and called an amateur. I was also advised that I should not say I have never done these cases before and just sort of fake it. I have gone to management with these concerns, am having numerous medical problems now that I have never had because of the stress and anxiety and have now decided to go back to my old job within the same hospital system.

This was not a great learning experience and feel that the hospital in a sense did not live up to their contract to "make it the best place to work". I do not want to go to a competitor I just want to get back to being happy and doing the work that I love doing. I feel so trapped in this contract. I feel like I have tried to make this a better work environment but it still makes me feel miserable.

Any advice or money to pay off the contract?

VWhat is the name of your state?
When you entered into this contract,you assured your company,that you would do job x for 18 months,in return,they would cover the cost of your training. I don't know if it is the same in your state,but in mine,most nurses are union members. Are you in a union? Have you spoke to your union rep on the conditions you are working under. It sounds very stressful,but i don't hear anything illegal about what they are asking of you. Every nurse and every doctor at one time or another will be experiencing a first time case,and they must ask you to be a part of it,or you will not learn enough. The surgeons are being the way they are,because they know that they would need a nurse that can handle the stress of all emergencys. It doesnt excuse thier attitude,but what would you want them to say? "Because you dont know anything about a case like this,we won't include you in it"? Please,listen to the nurses that have been through it,with time,it will become easier and easier to deal with what goes on. They aren't asking you to fake it,per se,they are asking you to wing it,which is all you can do until you have the knowledge to deal with these "cases" without getting frazzled. Are they putting any patients at risk,or is there people around that can assist,if you make a critical mistake? I'm sorry your going through this. Looking again at your post,it says you have decided allready to go back to your old job,but within the hospital. They have every right,since you did not complete your part of the deal with the 18 months,to ask for every dime back that they would have charged for that training. It sounds to me like you are stuck with this debt. I hope im wrong!!:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">