• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Do not compete" repercussions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SoThirsty

I was employed in a start-up firm in the State of Michigan for more than a year before being asked to sign a "do not compete" contract. Upon refusal, I was asked to leave and my former employer proceeded to accuse me of all sorts of misconduct (he had previously established that I was his best employee and often spoke of a potential partnership). His bitterness continued, but this was all years ago and I have successfully moved on.

Unfortunately, I need his signature on an employment verification form and after two phone conversations, I believe this will be very difficult to obtain.

Do I have any legal way to motivate my former employer to sign a form that confirms my former employment? He is using this as an opportunity to slow my entry into the market place where I will become a direct competitor. Would his previous slander (2 years ago) play any part in a potential suit?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are asking whether there is any law that compels him to verify your employment, no, there is not.

turbowray

hmm

SoThirsty said:
I was employed in a start-up firm in the State of Michigan for more than a year before being asked to sign a "do not compete" contract. Upon refusal, I was asked to leave and my former employer proceeded to accuse me of all sorts of misconduct (he had previously established that I was his best employee and often spoke of a potential partnership). His bitterness continued, but this was all years ago and I have successfully moved on.

Unfortunately, I need his signature on an employment verification form and after two phone conversations, I believe this will be very difficult to obtain.

Do I have any legal way to motivate my former employer to sign a form that confirms my former employment? He is using this as an opportunity to slow my entry into the market place where I will become a direct competitor. Would his previous slander (2 years ago) play any part in a potential suit?
Wouldn't a w-2 from the year or years that you worked for him be sufficient proof enough?;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">