• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demand Letter - Vehicle Warranty Denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Coach1967

Hi From Indiana,

I Own Chevy vehicle that has had a special policy warranty added by chevy due to excessive failures of a fuel injection pump on a diesel pick up engine.

I experienced this failure 2 months after special policy letter received and well within warranty period. Vehicle is now at dealership with $2000 estimate to fix.

Regional warranty exchange person denying claim because he says " dirty and water contamination of fuel" was reported to him. These reasons would be cause for denial. The authorized chevy dealership technician says to me directly "there was not water contamination in fuel....fuel was tested and found to be within normal range". This technician would be the person reporting to the regional warranty person whom is located 500 miles away from dealership. I asked the technician directly " Do you see any reason for denial" He replied "No".

I contacted regular gas station in our town. I have receipt of day I bought fuel 1 week before failure and 200 miles driven since fill up. They have monitors ensuring clean diesel. Also, small town and no other reports of bad fuel.

The only diry part of the fuel was metal shavings found in a filter unit that can be directly attributed by Chevy's own admission, to the part failing.

I am exhausting efforts and outlets to go to except for demand letter by attorney. I have sent certified letters,emails, phone calls to no avail. I feel that Chevy is denying this claim due to high claims of failing part that is industry wide known as problem 1995-2000 model year.

Further more, I have obtained copies of the service bulletin about fixing the pump and can show that and metal shavings are listed as " cause of failing pump" in the chevy service bulletin!

I think this has happened to others also....this run around and automatic denial.

Two questions-

Your advice as next step and do you think a class action litigation is warranted?

Composed in Indiana

JETX

I agree that it sounds like you are getting the run around.

Here are my suggestions:
1) Get a WRITTEN statement from your local car dealer as to the fuel.
2) Try to get a WRITTEN statement from your local gas station. Also, KEEP your receipt.
3) Look in your auto manual. All manufacturers have a complaint process that you need to follow, and most include an arbitration process. Cases have been lost due to the owners failure to follow the manufacturers already established procedures.
4) Once you have done the above, and have exhausted all steps with the manufacturer, go back to both the dealer and the manufacturer and detail your problem in WRITING as high as you can get (owner, CEO, etc). Strongly (but respectfully) request their involvement in resolving this complaint. Include the facts of your situation and refer to the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin). Let them know that you are aware of the problems that they have with this engine and that you are willing to work with them to resolve it. Do not be confrontational or place blame, remember, you have to work with them, to get them to work with you.
5) Finally, if none of the above work, then you might have to consider litigation, but you really need to exhaust the 'easy' and 'cheap' ways first.

As to the possibility of class action status, it is a hard act to enable and is both costly and lengthy. I would not recommend it, and should only be pursued with the affirmation of legal counsel.

Regretfully, I know that this sounds like a LOT of work and it is, but you need to be formalizing your problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">