• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michiganian

What is the name of your state? Michigan

A non-employee (gets paid cash on the side) has assaulted me verbally with sexual one sided conversation. His son was with him at the time and forced him out of the office stating that he was a pervert and to stop what he was doing. The last time he came into the office I went to another office with a male employee to avoid unwitnessed contact and he followed me there and started the "you're such a beautiful woman" dialogue. I left that office to get away from him. I emailed the owner of the company and told him what had happened and that I did not want this person in the office especially because I am often alone at the end of the day. My employer did nothing. At a gathering at the work place on a Sunday, my husband and I were there along with the harasser. He called my name gave a suggestive sexual gesture then came up to me and started caressing my shoulder. My husband and I attempted to leave when the harasser kept approaching us saying he didn't do anything wrong. My employer was there and when I questioned him about the email I sent, he told me I was too vague so he didn't do anything. He later emailed me that he told the harasser to have no contact with me. I have not gone back to work because of this person and I found out that even after he was told to have no contact with me, he came in on Monday to talk to me. Today I found out that my employer told him to treat me like one of the guys and that he is allowed to talk to me only in passing through. This man(harasser) has been in a mental institution and does not believe that his behavior is inappropriate and believes that he can do and say anything he feels is appropriate to a "beautiful woman".

This is a case of a small business that employs only 8 people so I believe federal law does not apply. What advise can anyone give me as to what to do next? I did inform my employer, he did nothing. I then requested that the person have no contact with me and he is still able to do so without consequences from the owner. There is no reason for this person to even be in the office during working hours.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

fairisfair

I do not see anywhere in your post where you turned to your harasser and said stop that, do not speak to me in that manner, I do not want your attention and I want you to leave me alone. Addressing the behavior with your employer has apparently not worked, address it yourself, or seek other employment.

www.eeoc.gov

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are correct that Federal law does not apply since there are only 8 employees (Federal discrimination laws, and the EEOC, kick in at 15 employees). I'm not where I can look your state up at the moment but some states have lower thresholds - you MAY have some recourse at the state level. Contact the Michigan human rights commission and see what they say.

Michiganian

Both my husband and I asked this man to leave me alone and to have no contact with me.

As far as being a pansy, we were at a high school graduation party for the boss's daughter and felt the appropriate thing to do was to leave quietly and not create a scene. It would have been totally inappropriate to start a fight.

As far as quiting my job goes, are you stating that if a person is getting sexually harassed and the owners won't do anything, the person being harassed needs to leave? I don't quite understand that when there are sexual harassment laws that an employer must abide by.

S

shell007

Michiganian said:
Both my husband and I asked this man to leave me alone and to have no contact with me.

As far as being a pansy, we were at a high school graduation party for the boss's daughter and felt the appropriate thing to do was to leave quietly and not create a scene. It would have been totally inappropriate to start a fight.

As far as quiting my job goes, are you stating that if a person is getting sexually harassed and the owners won't do anything, the person being harassed needs to leave? I don't quite understand that when there are sexual harassment laws that an employer must abide by.
This person, as you previously stated, is a NON-EMPLOYEE.

I don't think you should be expecting your boss to protect you. This sounds more like a personal matter.

TELL the guy to stop DON'T ASK!

mitousmom

Federal law would require your employer to take action to prevent illegal harassment by a customer in the work environment. However, your employer is not covered by the federal anti-discrimination statute. As noted by a previous poster, you should contact the Michigan Department of Civil Rights to determine whether they have jurisdiction over your employer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am now where I can look up the state law standards and Michigan discrimination laws apply to all employers regardless of size. You can file a complaint at the state level.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">