• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-husband lawyer abusings the system

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

exisalawyer

What is the name of your state? GA

EMAIL ME AT: [email protected] (Ex is a Lawyer)
BLOG: http://exisalawyer.blogspot.com/

Are there any guidelines that disallows an attorney from representing himself against non-legal adversaries? What stops an attorney from representing himself and forcing financial hardship on his adversaries?

MY PERSONAL EXAMPLE

My ex-husband, who is also an attorney, threatened retaliation if I continued to bring contempt charges against him for paying support whenever he felt like it. After my last contempt motion, my ex-husband sued for custody of my 14 year old son. My son came to court with me so he could tell the judge what he wanted and I was forced to hire an attorney. My ex-husband, however, pursued the change of custody anyway and used his knowledge of the court system to convince the judge that my son could not speak for himself.

Attorney bills for change of custody in the State of Georgia are not reimbursable. I spent over $8000 on attorney fees. My ex-husband represented himself and has not spent anything on this bogus case. He is using his knowledge as an attorney to harass me and force me into financial hardship.

Four months later, I brought a contempt motion against my ex-husband for $17,000 in back support. My attorney was able to get the support plus $6,000 in attorney fees for me. However, the attorney fees have gone $4,000 over the $6,000 and my ex-husband continues to bombard my attorney with all kinds of paperwork. Once again, I am stuck with thousands of dollars for attorney fees and he owes nothing.

CALIF-LAWPRO61

exisalawyer said:
What is the name of your state? GA

EMAIL ME AT: [email protected] (Ex is a Lawyer)
BLOG: http://exisalawyer.blogspot.com/

Are there any guidelines that disallows an attorney from representing himself against non-legal adversaries? What stops an attorney from representing himself and forcing financial hardship on his adversaries?

My response:

There are none. Each of us, regardless of education, has an absolute, Constitutional right, to prosecute our own, or defend against, court actions.

There is nothing you can do, or you would have been told this by the judge already.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">