• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA License, Speeding ticket in Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sportscarlover

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I got a speeding ticket on Ohio turnpike (94 in 65 zone) last week. Ohio will most likely report it to DMV in Virginia. It's making me really worried because in VA, 80+ mph is considered reckless driving. Although the police officer in Ohio cited me only for speeding NOT for reckless driving, can it still go on my record in VA as reckless driving? I already had a speeding ticket in VA in January this year (15 miles above posted limit) which I pleaded guilty to and paid fine.

The court date in Ohio is June 12. If plead guilty and pay fine, it would eventually lead to a total of 10 point on my Virginia license in 6 months. In worst case scenario if Virginia DMV treats this as reckless driving, my licence can be suspended. What are the chances of that happening?

I am really worried, please advise as to what's my best option in this situation. Thanks for your help!!What is the name of your state?

sukharev

Try finding a lawyer in Ohio specializing in traffic tickets and with office close to the court. he can tell you if you need to appear, or if he can do it without your presence. As for the points transfer, you are correct, VA will likely automatically treat it as reckless and suspend your license. So, no matter how, you have to try and lower the charges by going through plea bargain with DA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">