• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX Movng Violation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rockind308

What is the name of your state? Texas. Can a city policeman issue a ticket when we were both outside the city limits. He says I was going 57 in a 45 within the city limits and I know I was past the city limit sign where ther speed limit is 60. Should I try to bring this to the attention of the judge?

The Occultist

Were you passing into Mexico? Didn't think so.

From what I've seen, judges typically won't care that the officer made the stop a little outside of city, or even county, lines. There is some leeway in jurisdiction.

rockind308

In this case it matters because the speed limit is 60 outside of town and I was doing 57 mph according to the cop. From a half mile away he made the decision that I was inside the city limit sign when I actually was past the sign on my way out.

lwpat

You can take a Texas ticket to a jury trial and let them decide. Your other options are traffic school or a deferment. You might also get the judge to drop it to an over 5mph ticket which is no points.

rockind308 said:
In this case it matters because the speed limit is 60 outside of town and I was doing 57 mph according to the cop. From a half mile away he made the decision that I was inside the city limit sign when I actually was past the sign on my way out.
The judgement of the officer (not the vehicle speed or jurisdiction) is questioned in your query. "From half a mile away" would be stretching judgement on that kind of matter, as described, and I don't think there's a machine in general use can accomplish an accurate assessment. If you can adequately establish that observation point of the officer effectively hampers accuracy of his judgement, you have a chance....depending on the mood of the judge and whether or not the cop sticks to his story.

rockind308

Thank you - you accurately stated my point. The traffic officer was one of two hired a couple of weeks ago. I'm probably not the only local citizen voicing a concern. It would be easy to say that he probably needs to justify his hiring and will push questionable stops.

The Occultist

rockind308 said:
It would be easy to say that he probably needs to justify his hiring and will push questionable stops.
No, do not do that. You will more than likely just annoy the judge. Just stick with the argument that he was simply too far away to get any kind of accurate reading.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">