• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this job discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Henry Lee

What is the name of your state? California.

I was hired by a company a few years ago as a Software Engineer. My job title has always been "Software Engineer" since then. I have been performing whatever duties my manager assigned to me.

Recently the HR told me they found out that the duties I am currently performing do not belong to "Software Engineer", but belong to "Systems Administrator". Therefore they are going to change my job title from "Software Engineer" to "Systems Administrator".

I told the HR I am just performimg the duties that were assigned to me. If the duties do not match my title "Software Engineer", the company should correct the wrongfully assigned duties and assign me new duties that do match my job title "Software Engineer". I was hired as "Software Engineer", and I want to work as a Software Engineer.

But the company refused to change my job duties. They told me they are going to change my job title in a few days, so the new title will match the (wrongfully assigned) duties.

Is that legal? The company hired me as a "Software Engineer" (as written in the offer letter). Can they assign me ANY duties and then change my job title to whatever as they wish? What should I do now?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BelizeBreeze

Henry Lee said:
What is the name of your state? California.

I was hired by a company a few years ago as a Software Engineer. My job title has always been "Software Engineer" since then. I have been performing whatever duties my manager assigned to me.

Recently the HR told me they found out that the duties I am currently performing do not belong to "Software Engineer", but belong to "Systems Administrator". Therefore they are going to change my job title from "Software Engineer" to "Systems Administrator".

I told the HR I am just performimg the duties that were assigned to me. If the duties do not match my title "Software Engineer", the company should correct the wrongfully assigned duties and assign me new duties that do match my job title "Software Engineer". I was hired as "Software Engineer", and I want to work as a Software Engineer.

But the company refused to change my job duties. They told me they are going to change my job title in a few days, so the new title will match the (wrongfully assigned) duties.

Is that legal? The company hired me as a "Software Engineer" (as written in the offer letter). Can they assign me ANY duties and then change my job title to whatever as they wish? What should I do now?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
They can call you a hired monkey if they want. This is NOT a legal issue. :rolleyes:

Beth3

Is that legal? Perfectly. If they want to call you Software Engineer but have you perform janitorial duties, they can do that too.

If you're not happy with your job duties, then your recourse is to find a position elsewhere more to your liking.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They told me they are going to change my job title in a few days, so the new title will match the (wrongfully assigned) duties.

Wrongfully assigned? Where do you get that? Listen, Charlie, they can assign you any duties they want and they can call you anything they want. If you don't like either your job duties or your job title, your recourse is to find a job or job title you like better. There is NOTHING even remotely illegal about what you are describing and if I had an employee with an attitude like that, I'd like nothing better than to have him find a job title, with another firm, that he found more to his liking.

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
They told me they are going to change my job title in a few days, so the new title will match the (wrongfully assigned) duties.

Wrongfully assigned? Where do you get that? Listen, Charlie, they can assign you any duties they want and they can call you anything they want. If you don't like either your job duties or your job title, your recourse is to find a job or job title you like better. There is NOTHING even remotely illegal about what you are describing and if I had an employee with an attitude like that, I'd like nothing better than to have him find a job title, with another firm, that he found more to his liking.
MEOW...... :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm having a really bad week. Not a good idea to cross me just now. Little patience for...okay, I won't say stupidity but you get the idea.

mitousmom

I don't get it. You were perfectly willing to do the duties assigned to you and apparently felt the duties were appropriately assigned to you. Now, because those same duties will have a new label, you don't want to do them!!! Is this a status thing? Is a systems engineer a better, more prestigious, desirable job title than a systems administrator? Will your pay or promotional opportunities be affected by the title change?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">