• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding, then arrested for not "signing" the ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jefffrizzle2001

What is the name of your state? Florida

i was speeding going 51 in a 40 zone at approx 5am going to work. i got pulled over by the officer and didnt have a copy of my registration. the cop had a real bad attitude and was on some kind of power trip. i explained to him that i didnt have my registration on me (i showed him my license and insurance) but my car is registered. i told him that he can look me up on the computer and see that its registered. he started getting an attitude, told me to "shut up" and "dont tell me how to do my job" he asked me to step out of the car, i did. he asked me am i a PBA member. ( i have a PBA badge on the back of my license plate.) i advised him that i am not a member, it was given to me by my brother in law who is a officer at another police station. i gave him my brothers name, he called that station and confirmed that he is an officer there, but was still giving me a hard time because we have different last names, and he was not on duty to confirm this for him. the cop ended up writing tickets for me, 1 for speeding, 1 for no registration, and 1 for having the PBA badge on my plate and not being a member. i told him this is rediculous. he told me to sign it. i asked him what am i signing to (i was definetly planning on fighting this.)
am i admitting guilt by signing? he said "just sign it" i said "what if i don't" (didn't say it trying to be a dick or give him attitude, i just wanted to know what my options were)
he said then you go to jail. and told me to put my hands on the car, and he arrested me.
he didnt read me my rights, he didnt tell me why i was being arrested. while waiting in the back of the cruiser, i saw him looking through a manual of some sort of traffic violations, like he was looking for something else to book me on. i told him don't do that, tried pleading with him....he just told me to shut up...i watched him as he wrote the police report. he wrote that he asked me to sign the ticket 3 times and i refused 3 times, then started walking away. he also put on there that i was DUI, hmm thats funny if i was DUI why didnt he give me a breathalyzer? this is all a complete lie. he wrote me another ticket for not signing the original, and i ended up spending the day in jail. Another thing is, he didnt give me one of the tickets, just the police report. i think he forgot cause he seemed in a hurry to get me to jail.(he wouldnt even let me get some things out of my car.) my first ticket, my first arrest. and all on my birthday, he had no sympathy. i have no problem with the speeding ticket, i'll admit to that but everything else is BS!!!

What should i do?

BelizeBreeze

Beat what?

you were speeding.

You had no registration as required by law.

You had a PBA sticker on your license which you were not authorized to display.

What do you NOT understand?

The simple fact is, you were arrested because you failed to promise to appear for the hearing on the charges. Therefore, it is at the officer's discretion to either write on the ticket "Refused to sign" and trust that you will appear, or take you into custody.

Judging from YOUR attitude, the officer made the right choice.

Oh, and HEY, perry mason, the officer was not under any legal obligation to "Read you your rights". :rolleyes:

jefffrizzle2001

BelizeBreeze said:
Beat what?

you were speeding.

You had no registration as required by law.

You had a PBA sticker on your license which you were not authorized to display.

What do you NOT understand?

The simple fact is, you were arrested because you failed to promise to appear for the hearing on the charges. Therefore, it is at the officer's discretion to either write on the ticket "Refused to sign" and trust that you will appear, or take you into custody.

Judging from YOUR attitude, the officer made the right choice.

Oh, and HEY, perry mason, the officer was not under any legal obligation to "Read you your rights". :rolleyes:
If you're so smart, i wonder why you have trouble reading what i wrote. Yes, i was speeding. I know that. I have registration, just misplaced my paper. I wont have any trouble beating that because i already got a new copy to show them. I am permeitted to have a PBA badge, it wass given to me by my brother in law who is an officer. In florida, well at least in Miami, officers can give family members PBA badges.
First of all i never had an attitude as i stated previously, i asked him a legitmate question.

and what im trying to beat is the charge. Im not a criminal, and never had a ticket before or been arrested. He obviously lied on the police statement in order to arrest me. i NEVER once refused to sign it

Judging from YOUR lack of reading comprehension, you make DUMB statements

now, what don't you understand?

please, im not looking for a fight, i just dont want stupid sarcastic answers when you cleary didnt throughly read my post

moburkes

If you're so smart, i wonder why you have trouble reading what i wrote. Yes, i was speeding. I know that. I have registration, just misplaced my paper. I wont have any trouble beating that because i already got a new copy to show them. I am permeitted to have a PBA badge, it wass given to me by my brother in law who is an officer. In florida, well at least in Miami, officers can give family members PBA badges.
First of all i never had an attitude as i stated previously, i asked him a legitmate question.

and what im trying to beat is the charge. Im not a criminal, and never had a ticket before or been arrested. He obviously lied on the police statement in order to arrest me. i NEVER once refused to sign it

Judging from YOUR lack of reading comprehension, you make DUMB statements

now, what don't you understand?

please, im not looking for a fight, i just dont want stupid sarcastic answers when you cleary didnt throughly read my post[/QUOTE]

Wrong answer. I'm guessing that you will no longer get ANY answers. HINT: When your question is generic, then you should have expected the responses that you got.

Misplacing your registration got you a ticket. Of course, you can prove later that you do have one, but it is not the police offer's JOB to "look me up on the computer and see that its registered". Its your job, and the law, to provide it.

You say that you didn't have an attitude.
i told him that he can look me up on the computer and see that its registered..ATTITUDE
i am not a member..got you a ticket
i told him this is rediculous..ATTITUDE
he didnt read me my rights..not required
tried pleading with him..too late
this is all a complete lie..really?
he wouldnt even let me get some things out of my car..not required..you weren't going for that GUN in your car, were you?
he had no sympathy..should he have?
What should i do?..answered already:
Today 08:54 AM
lwpat
Hire an attorney.

jefffrizzle2001

rong answer. I'm guessing that you will no longer get ANY answers. HINT: When your question is generic, then you should have expected the responses that you got.

Misplacing your registration got you a ticket. Of course, you can prove later that you do have one, but it is not the police offer's JOB to "look me up on the computer and see that its registered". Its your job, and the law, to provide it.

You say that you didn't have an attitude.
i told him that he can look me up on the computer and see that its registered..ATTITUDE
i am not a member..got you a ticket
i told him this is rediculous..ATTITUDE
he didnt read me my rights..not required
tried pleading with him..too late
this is all a complete lie..really?
he wouldnt even let me get some things out of my car..not required..you weren't going for that GUN in your car, were you?
he had no sympathy..should he have?
What should i do?..answered already:
Today 08:54 AM
lwpat
Hire an attorney.[/QUOTE]

what im saying is he lied to arrest me. thats it. i never refused

as for asking him to look it up, im just trying to prove that i have a registered car, why would i give a cop an attitude, im trying to get out of the ticket not get more for verbal assault or some dumb sh*t

but this isnt about an attitude this is about a wrongful arrest. he outright lied to arrest me

sukharev

Many of the replies you see don't come from lawyers. In fact, the very first advice you got is the best one, because it would take ages to explain what you are or not entitled to, and whether any of your rights got violated. Sarcasm and quick judgement are a staple here, so try to not mind it when you read such replies. It's frequently also an indicator of complexity of your problem, and too many details people loose track of.

I am not a lawyer myself, but I think that you are right, arresting you was way too excessive, unless there was something you did not share with us. Why did he charge you with DUI??? Also, I believe you should not be required to sign anything, what is the statute he cited you for this one?

So, do talk to a real lawyer, who can help you fight the case. Good luck.

jefffrizzle2001

sukharev said:
Many of the replies you see don't come from lawyers. In fact, the very first advice you got is the best one, because it would take ages to explain what you are or not entitled to, and whether any of your rights got violated. Sarcasm and quick judgement are a staple here, so try to not mind it when you read such replies. It's frequently also an indicator of complexity of your problem, and too many details people loose track of.

I am not a lawyer myself, but I think that you are right, arresting you was way too excessive, unless there was something you did not share with us. Why did he charge you with DUI??? Also, I believe you should not be required to sign anything, what is the statute he cited you for this one?

So, do talk to a real lawyer, who can help you fight the case. Good luck.
Thank you, as for the dui, he didnt charge me with it, but he wrote it on the police report.
he had asked me if i had been drinking, i told him i had a drink around 12:00am, when i got pulled over is was after 5am. Im not against signing anything, i just want to know what im signing to before i do it. i now understand that if you dont sign it, then it is a "crime" and they are well within reason to arrest you. my problem is i never refused to sign, i simply asked him to clarify what i am signing to. there is nothing else i am not telling you guys, i didnt have an attitude or use curse words, this cop was just on a power trip

sukharev

It's pretty clear you need a lawyer. If officer has a camera (typically activated any time he hits the bar), there should be a recording of the event. If you did not refuse to sign, it would be clear once you request discovery of that tape. Also, you had full right to ask what you sign before signing it. You also had the right to refuse signing any documents until your lawyer looks at it. Your arrest should not have happened. But, only a real lawyer can tell you if this is trully the case. Florida may have a special law that permits arrest when the ticket is not signed, but in general it is not considered a crime. Once again, what was the statute he wrote on the ticket for refusal to sign?

fairisfair

jefffrizzle2001 said:
Thank you, as for the dui, he didnt charge me with it, but he wrote it on the police report.
he had asked me if i had been drinking, i told him i had a drink around 12:00am, when i got pulled over is was after 5am. Im not against signing anything, i just want to know what im signing to before i do it. i now understand that if you dont sign it, then it is a "crime" and they are well within reason to arrest you. my problem is i never refused to sign, i simply asked him to clarify what i am signing to. there is nothing else i am not telling you guys, i didnt have an attitude or use curse words, this cop was just on a power trip
Congratulations, you have just accepted the advice of someone who is not an attorney, and questioned the intelligence of the attorney who responded to you. Luck is EXACTLY what you need.

jefffrizzle2001

fairisfair said:
Congratulations, you have just accepted the advice of someone who is not an attorney, and questioned the intelligence of the attorney who responded to you. Luck is EXACTLY what you need.
well im willing to accept advice from anybody. and i question the "attorneys" comprehension skills, for making an assumption about me and giving me a smart ass sarcastic remark. "perry mason" if he is a attorney, he must not be a well respected one, because this is the real world and not everybody knows the laws and loop holes inside-out.
so get it straight. This isn't a joke, and i dont have time for petty jokes for people who have nothing better to do than critisize and judge. He puts the ASS in assumptions.

anybody else have anything else worthless to say, post it in another thread, cause i dont want to hear it

fairisfair

jefffrizzle2001 said:
well im willing to accept advice from anybody. and i question the "attorneys" comprehension skills, for making an assumption about me and giving me a smart ass sarcastic remark. "perry mason" if he is a attorney, he must not be a well respected one, because this is the real world and not everybody knows the laws and loop holes inside-out.
so get it straight. This isn't a joke, and i dont have time for petty jokes for people who have nothing better to do than critisize and judge. He puts the ASS in assumptions.

anybody else have anything else worthless to say, post it in another thread, cause i dont want to hear it
Not to worry, after your reply to BB , I doubt seriously that any of the rest of us will waste your time reading responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">