• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor want finish job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmathis

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I can't get my contractor to finish his job. He started in the second week of March. It is now june the 8th. The contract states he will finish in a timely manner. He has stated for three straight weeks that by Friday he will be through and all kinds of other promises that are not being lived up to. I have paid for material that hasn't shown up and I am in this up to the amount that we have agreed upon. How can I make him finish it or pay for someone else to do it. He was to add rooms over my Garage anf build a new deck. I know he has started other jobs and will just send one person to look as if they are working on my house.What is the name of your state?

fairisfair

is your contractor licensed? What is a "timely manner"? you mean there is no completion date? Have you asked the contractor about the materials that have been purchased, but are not on the job, what is his response?

Buk1000

I believe GA just passed a licensing law but it hasn't kicked in yet, and it is common for builders to be grandfathered in anyway. I would check to be sure the contractor has paid suppliers and subs. If he hasn't, they could put a lien on your house, even if you already paid the builder. Verbal promises are not worth a cent. You will probably need to find out what your legal recourse is depending on your contract, if you have one, and the state's laws about how long contractors have once taking your deposit, etc. Unfortunately, this means a visit to an attorney. Find a GOOD one and expect to pay roughly $150 for the advice.

I also believe GA has what is called a "right to repair law," meaning you have to follow a prescribed set of steps if you have a contractor/builder complaint. Builders wrote this law to protect themselves so don't expect to find it consumer-friendly. Most such laws have only one good provision IMO, and that's their requirement to write your complaint to the builder and send it by certified return receipt mail. Do this even if not required. http://www.professionalroofing.net/article.aspx?A_ID=730 this article tells a little about GA's law.

Don't let this go on and on. The longer you allow these shennanigans, the more likely you'll lose.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">