• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse wants 80% of income? is this legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

screwed

In my first sit-down separartion agreement negotiation meeting with all parties and lawyers present, spouses lawyer suggested a 'temporary' arrangement of child support and spousal support equalling approx. 80% of my monthly income, plus i am to take half of all debt, plus I am to preform professional services for the soon to be ex? My lawyer agreed to all this??? I don't get it and refused to sign anything. I feel I am being screwed by my atty and spouses atty. I am considering firing my atty. because she is not working in my interest. Can I do this? I feel this is totally unfair. Over 80% -- leaves me with nothing to live on, and with all the debt i have to pay now....i am at zero balance after paying her and the credit cards....HELP

S

Survivin

I'm just a newbie, but

- How many kids do you have?
- How long have you been married?
- What state are you filing in?
- What is your approximate income, and your spouses approximate income?

S

screwed

3 kids
65% of income is me
35% of income is spouse (spouse is lying about this by the way)
maryland
married for 15 years

L

LadyBlu

screwed said:
3 kids
65% of income is me
35% of income is spouse (spouse is lying about this by the way)
maryland
married for 15 years

Here is a little info for you:

In fact it might be good for you to read all the information on the site:
http://www.divorcesource.com/MD/index.shtml

MARYLAND SPOUSAL SUPPORT: Either spouse may be awarded alimony and based on the following factors: (1) the time necessary to acquire sufficient education and training to enable the spouse to find appropriate employment, and that spouse's future earning capacity; (2) the standard of living established during the marriage; (3) the duration of the marriage; (3) the ability of the spouse from whom support is sought to meet his or her needs while meeting those of the spouse seeking support; (4) the financial resources of the spouse seeking alimony, including marital property apportioned to such spouse and such spouse's ability to meet his or her needs independently; (5) the comparative financial resources of the spouses, including their comparative earning abilities in the labor market; (6) the contribution of each spouse to the marriage, including services rendered in homemaking, child care, education, and career building of the other spouse; (7) the age of the spouses; (8) the physical and emotional conditions of the spouses; (9) any mutual agreement between the spouses concerning financial or service contributions by one spouse with the expectation of future reciprocation or compensation by the other; (10) the ability of the spouse seeking alimony to become self-supporting; (11) the circumstances which lead to the breakdown of the marriage; and (12) any other factor the court deems just and equitable. [Annotated Code of Maryland; Family Law, Title 11, Section 11-106

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">