• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abuse at the workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joysgirl2

What is the name of your state? Florida
My niece works for two veternarian's as an assistant, yesterday she was clipping a dogs nails. She was having a difficult time controlling the dog when one of the vet's came up to her, grab her arm and the dog's paw to show her how to handle the dog.
Then, all of a sudden the veternarian punched my niece in the middle of her back. My niece had the vet arrested, but now she can't go back to work. This vet does not owe the clinic, she is an employee. Does my niece have any recourse? Apparently, this particular vet has hit other employee's in the past, one of the employees witnessed the incident and is willing to come forward, as she quit her job yesterday after the incident, but the others who have witnessed or actually been abused themselves are afraid to come forward for fear of being fired.What is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She's already reported him to the police and he's been arrested; what other action do you have in mind?

xylene

cbg said:
She's already reported him to the police and he's been arrested; what other action do you have in mind?
She wants to go back to work?

She was assaulted by a superior, the superior was arrested, now she is not allowed to return to her job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Maybe. Or maybe she wants to file a lawsuit. Or maybe something else altogether.

There's a limit to how much mindreading I'm willing to do. If the poster wants to tell me what she's thinking of, I'll do my best to help. But I can't answer questions in a vaccuum.

mitousmom

You haven't provided any information to indicate that the vet's or the employer's action violated federal anti-discrimination laws. It's also unclear whether your niece's employer has the requisite number of employees to be covered by federal laws.

If her employer no longer wants her as an employee and terminates her employment, I don't know of any federal law such action would violate. I am sure that someone will respond and indicate whether your niece has some possible non-federal legal recourse.

While I can probably understand your niece's action in calling the police,many employers prefer that such "minor" matters be handled internally rather than bringing in the police.

joysgirl2

I'm shocked by your reply!

QUOTE: While I can probably understand your niece's action in calling the police,many employers prefer that such "minor" matters be handled internally rather than bringing in the police.[/QUOTE][/U]

Are you crazy, you consider this action to be "MINOR"? This is exaclty why women in this country are still being abused and murdered each and everyday. No one has the right to hit or punch anyone.
To answer your question as to why my niece did not go to the other vet, or to handle it internally is because he knows what is going on, and apparently he doesn't know how to handle the problem, otherwise I would assume he would have done so already.

joysgirl2

cbg said:
There's a limit to how much mindreading I'm willing to do. If the poster wants to tell me what she's thinking of, I'll do my best to help. But I can't answer questions in a vaccuum.
My niece did not want to leave her job, she rather enjoyed it, but she was not willing to stay and be abused either. After she had the vet arrested how was she suppose to show up for work the next day?
I never asked you to mind read my question, I only asked if there was any recourse my niece had!!!!!

joysgirl2

You have common sense!

xylene said:
She wants to go back to work?

She was assaulted by a superior, the superior was arrested, now she is not allowed to return to her job.
Exactly, how does she return to work? She enjoyed her job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since you refuse to tell me what kind of recourse you mean, and since your question is too broad to answer accurately without some kind of guidance, I respectfully decline to provide any further information.

joysgirl2

Thank You So Much!

cbg said:
Since you refuse to tell me what kind of recourse you mean, and since your question is too broad to answer accurately without some kind of guidance, I respectfully decline to provide any further information.
I would perfer you didn't answer me, since you live in a vaccuum! I did answer you, gee you much have passed over it!

If this vet is punching human beings, what in hell is being done to the animals who can't call 911? I would believe there is a problem with management, ANGER management that is.

Have there been any incidents involving unruly "patients" being punched?

Tell her to file a complaint with the Florida Dept of Labor. Verbal abuse can be considered "harrassment"; therefore I should think physical abuse might peak some interest with the DOL.

mitousmom

Are you crazy, you consider this action to be "MINOR"? This is exaclty why women in this country are still being abused and murdered each and everyday. No one has the right to hit or punch anyone.
No, I'm not crazy, just realistic. What you indicate your niece experienced is a long way from being "abused and murdered." Further, most of that violence towards women is done by men, who are assumed to have a physical and psychological advantage over women. If I understand your post, you niece was hit by another woman.

Yes, no one has the right to hit or punch anyone; that's what assault laws are designed to prevent and punish. But there are degrees to the offenses, as I'm sure you niece will discover as the police authorities address her situation. And, while she has the right not to be hit, her employer has the right not to continue her employment. Surely, you wouldn't want your niece to work for an employer who allows such behavior to go on and "doesn't know how to handle the problem?"

Contrary to your belief, your post doesn't provide the information needed to provide advice. For example, did your niece not report to work or call in following the incident? Or, was she told not to return?

The people who respond here do so on a voluntary basis. The answers to most legal questions are very fact specific. It is you who need their advice. If you aren't willing to provide the information they need to assess your situation, you won't get any advice or will get the wrong advice.

Maybe your niece should post here instead of you. She can provide first hand information, which is always much better, and hopefully she is more cooperative and receptive to assistance than you are.

Last edited:

joysgirl2

Information Needed

mitousmom Contrary to your belief said:
What information did I leave out? I thought I had been very specific in stating the facts that were relayed to me. No, my niece did not return to work the next day, would you? If you consider me to be uncooperative to your assistance I guess that would be understandable considering that you believe it is Minor to be punched by another person.

joysgirl2

Animal Cruelty or not

cissycicle said:
If this vet is punching human beings, what in hell is being done to the animals who can't call 911? I would believe there is a problem with management, ANGER management that is.

Have there been any incidents involving unruly "patients" being punched?
Your right, I'm not sure what went on in the vet clinic. My sister called me to find out what my niece should do and I told her I would post it online. But, that calling the police was a good move.
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">