• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

61, disabled, fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luxury_inc

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I've been recuperating since 12/05 after a fall which caused a broken arm, leg, knee, etc. I've been on short term disability through my employers insurance, I've been on the job 40 years. I am unable to do my work which is making precision parts for our helicopters used in Iraq, I can't walk, bend my knee, lift my arm, make a fist, etc, I assumed a long term disability. My orthopedic surgeon, who suffered a stroke between my monthly appointments, decided that if he can go to work so can I and released me without restrictions. I tried working for a day and just can't do it. HR is suggesting early retirement, and using up all my sick/vacation until then, or be fired. I am 61.
I really can't work, what do I do?

weenor

Consult with a local attorney, specializing in social security. Your long term policy probably requires you to apply for SSDI at some point. Take the policy to the lawyer.

Mistymay

You could apply for SSDI. The amount of money you would receive each month
would be determined by how much you have paid in and the credits you accumulated.

:)

luxury_inc

Thank you Mistymay and Weenor.
I have a bit of advice for everyone out there, protect your income, get a private disability insurance, I've been paying for life insurance that at my age no one needs, no one will starve if I die, but without protecting the income, I might starve.:(

funder

A bit Late---

Wish I'd seen this sooner...

By all means file for SSDI. Contrary to what you think, YOU DO NOT NEED AN ATTORNEY TO DO THIS. I consulted with an attorney and he wouldn't take my case. Seems you don't have a case until you are rejected.

I filed for SSDI last year at the age of 61 and was approved within 4 months. No attorneys, no rejections. I had to follow all the paperwork, guidelines, etc, which is a royal pain. A lot of emotional upheaval as you are so unsure of everything. I was told by everybody that I would be turned down. Even by my surgeon. Well, guess what, they were all wrong.

I do believe our advanced age may have something to do with being approved without difficulty. So, if you haven't, go down to the SS office and plan on spending half a day and say you want to file. Have all pertinent paperwork, drs names and addresses. Go for it and maybe you'll be approved by the time your 6 months waiting period is over.. I was.

On another note. We are paying on my husband's life insurance policy and he is 67. It's just not worth it anymore. He almost died in Feb and is doing well now, but for the measly $25,000 policy, I'm not paying $600+ a year. We have enough money for a funeral and already have our plots.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">