• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WC + workng 2nd job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luha_d

Hi:
I am a Michigan resident, currently receiving WC, medical benefits and rehab for a broken arm. Prior to the injury, I was working 2 jobs, both as a waitress. I was released to return to work, within a couple of day, provided I didn't use the arm, of course.
One employer told me that they had nothing for me to do and sent me home, no problems with the claim, etc.
The other employer was equally amicable and has arranged for me to work as a "hostess".
Can I receive WC and work as a hostess? Does the WC I receive from the employer where the injury occurred cover both jobs?
Thank You

B

buddy2bear

Technically, if you are on WC, you are not supposed to be working at ANY job. I do believe that WC would find you committing fraud (sort of double-dipping). That means, that if they find out, they will demand that you repay them what they paid you and they could even take it further, like court. I would suggest that if you are still collecting, that you stay home from both jobs.

L

luha_d

Thanks. I won't work , while collecting WC.......

...from now through January 5th, when I am scheduled for full release (even though everyone knows I can work, but can't use the arm)
So...... if I understand my homemade mess: instead of receiving a percentage of my average weekly wages,(which is doesn't consider the usually increase in tips over the holidays), I will end up with $150/week -GROSS. The amount I earned hostessing for the past 3 weeks.
Any guess on whether or not the WC will cover from now to my release on January 5th?
Can anyone see any flexibility or other options in this? Not looking to break the law, but I couldn't pay my bills on the WC wage..... and now less than $150.

B

buddy2bear

The only thing you can do is ask for an early release and then see if your employer would allow you to work "light duty," which doesn't involve use of your arm. Just because they give you a "release" date doesn't mean you have to stick to it, it just means that's when they think you are fully able to return to your job. Requesting an early release will tickle them to death because they will save money. You are the one who has to decide whether you are fully recovered and/or if returning early will harm your physical health.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">