• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

franman

I live in Texas. My ex-fiance lived with me for two years. He has now been out of the house for at least 14 months. Around the time of his moving, we agreed to evenly trade titles to our vehicles so I would have a better vehicle (I helped pay two years out of the three year note on it). We both signed over our original title to the other. I took mine down and had it transfered into my name. He has never had the other vehicle transfered into his name and it reamins parked in my yard. What can I do about getting him to transfer the car into his name. I could have it moved to his property but I hate to do that while it is still in my name. What options do I have? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

T

TimC

i am writing in lower case bacause i have a baby on my lap, so bear with me, please!

send a registered letter to the new owner which demands that the car be removed within a set amount of time. in the letter state that the car will be disposed of if not removed in that time. if it is not removed, go to the dmv and request a duplicate title. it will still be in your name because it is currently titled to you.

when the title gets back to you, send another registered letter that states that you have obtained the title to the car, and will sell the car to recover your storage fees if it is not claimed in three days. Keep copies of the signature receipt for those letters.

When the time comes, sell the car. I have a feeling that if the car is worth anything at all, the guy will come get the car before you are able to sell it.

F

franman

Thank you so very much for taking time to reply. I know how difficult it can be to type and hold your little one at the same time. I appreciate your help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

How adorable, Tim !!

But, you know, it gets real difficult to type when they vomit all over the keyboard. And then, there's the cat and dog mess. My bird thinks this is his cage bottom, and my wife, well . . .

You just can't imagine all the stuff I have to press through in order to get to my keys.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">