• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old, unpaid TX speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddalpe

What is the name of your state? I live in NY now, but received a speed ticket in TX in March, 2003.

Hello,
I recently remembered that I may have an unpaid Texas speeding ticket from March, 2003. I received the ticket while driving a rental car. I have never received any reminders or warnings in the mail since then, although I have changed addresses twice since receiving the ticket. Also, I had a MA license at the time and the address on my license was not up to date, so if they tried to mail anything to that address I would not have received it.

Do I need to do anything about this ticket? If so, what? I certainly don't want to be surprised with an arrest if I ever return to Texas, nor do I want to be denied a driver's license when it's time to apply for a new one. I called the main number for the TX Department of Safety (state police) this morning and kept getting passed around, but no one could help. Thanks in advance for your advice.

The Occultist

Of course you need to do something. Tickets don't magically go away because you've changed your address. By the way, having a license with a non-updated address is also a crime just for those reasons.

Aside from writing the ticket, the police department has nothing to do with it. Yes they will enforce a warrant for you if one does exist, but they are not a part of the judicial process of the law, and you must contact the court for the area you were cited in and talk to the clerk.

ddalpe

I realize that tickets don't just "magically disappear" - I just couldn't recall if I paid the ticket back in 2003 or not and I was wondering if anyone may have had a similar experience and could point me in the right direction.

Anyone know how to contact the Texas Courts for a highway pullover? I have no idea what city or county I was just - just that it was I-10 between San Antonio and Houston.

Thanks

moburkes

ddalpe said:
I realize that tickets don't just "magically disappear" - I just couldn't recall if I paid the ticket back in 2003 or not and I was wondering if anyone may have had a similar experience and could point me in the right direction.

Anyone know how to contact the Texas Courts for a highway pullover? I have no idea what city or county I was just - just that it was I-10 between San Antonio and Houston.

Thanks
Google is your friend.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/court/othercourts.asp?res=1024&ver=true Here's one place that I found. Its up to you to try the next place.

ddalpe said:

Thanks
Between Houston and San Antonio there are 10 Sheriff jurisdictions working the highway, as well as Texas Highway Patrol. They all report traffic violations to the DMV. Texas participates in the Non-Resident Violators program, in cooperation with most other states (not all), and would have sought enforcement through MA, if MA is also in that program. You should be able to find the MA status of this matter through the DMV there. If they have no record, contact the Texas DMV. You may be able to inquire through the web or phone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">