• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I leave? Nevada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nani67

I filed for divorce about two weeks ago through a parralegal service because I cannot afford an atty. Currently my spouse and I and my son (from a previous marriage) are living in the same home (mortgage). It is really starting to get very uncomfortable and my question is can my son and I move out and get an apartment of of our own? But do I still need to make the other half of the mortage payment until we are divorced? Thank You. ps, my husband does not want a divorce and is totally devistated. He said that he would never hurt me but I know people can change. Thank You.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nani67 said:
I filed for divorce about two weeks ago through a parralegal service because I cannot afford an atty. Currently my spouse and I and my son (from a previous marriage) are living in the same home (mortgage). It is really starting to get very uncomfortable and my question is can my son and I move out and get an apartment of of our own? But do I still need to make the other half of the mortage payment until we are divorced? Thank You. ps, my husband does not want a divorce and is totally devistated. He said that he would never hurt me but I know people can change. Thank You.
My response:

Since you live in a Community Property State (Nevada), until the divorce is final, you legally owe half of the Community debts. This is regardless of whether or not you move out, which, of course, you can do if you can afford to do so, and still maintain the community debts at the same time.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">