• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extra Charges for Construction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SNS

What is the name of your state? CA

I have a contract with a contractor for a room addition to my existing home and am starting to have problems with him regarding modifications that have been made to the construction and him charging me for them. Several of these changes were agreed upon before we signed the contract but were not specified in writing and now he is wanting to charge me for them.

When we finally signed the contract I was under the impression that these changes would be included in the final price.

He has also had changes done to the construction with out consulting me before they were made because he says the measurements on the blue prints were not accurate and he had to improvise. I have told him that the changes he decided on his own to make I should not have to pay to rectify if I am not happy with them, but he says he will be charging me for them anyway.

Also, I just heard from a friend that had construction done to her home a couple of years back, that as a contractor he is not suppose to ask me for more than 10% or $1,000.00 which ever is less for the down payment and she thinks that because of this technicality the contract may be null and void and I may be able to get out of this contract if he keeps giving me a hard time about all these changes.

Any input on my dilema would be greatly appreciated.

acmb05

SNS said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I have a contract with a contractor for a room addition to my existing home and am starting to have problems with him regarding modifications that have been made to the construction and him charging me for them. Several of these changes were agreed upon before we signed the contract but were not specified in writing and now he is wanting to charge me for them.

A written contract for the work should be done for what is in the contract, however there are always overuns and such that could bump the price up a little. Anything over 10% should have been discussed with you and an addendum signed for the extras.

When we finally signed the contract I was under the impression that these changes would be included in the final price.

He has also had changes done to the construction with out consulting me before they were made because he says the measurements on the blue prints were not accurate and he had to improvise. I have told him that the changes he decided on his own to make I should not have to pay to rectify if I am not happy with them, but he says he will be charging me for them anyway.

If you are talking a wall having to be moved a couple inches this would not be a big added expense, however if you are talking a closet being off and having to move countertops or built in dressers or something major then he should have discussed it with you before doing anything(again 10% max) He can charge you all he wants but you are only obligated to pay what is in the contract.

Also, I just heard from a friend that had construction done to her home a couple of years back, that as a contractor he is not suppose to ask me for more than 10% or $1,000.00 which ever is less for the down payment and she thinks that because of this technicality the contract may be null and void and I may be able to get out of this contract if he keeps giving me a hard time about all these changes.

This would not be true, a contractor can ask for everything upfront if they want to, YOU do not have to agree to it though.

Any input on my dilema would be greatly appreciated.
Only pay what is in your contract unless he had an addendum written up before the extra work wass performed and you both signed it.

Last edited:

shane72

The only thing I can say is I would read the contract over alot of contractors will put into their cotracts that allprices are subject to change because of these problems that have ocurred.My brother recently built a new home and the contractor charged $6000.00more because of problems with rock when they broke ground for the foundation and ther was nothing he could do but pay the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">