• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in North Carolina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twinsnailz

Hi, I am from Pennsylvania and I am down in North Carolina for 3 months. I am unfortunately accustomed to PA where the police do not have moving radars with their vehicles. I was traveling down a four lane road in a 45 mph zone following my instructions to get back to my townhouse. Along the way, I saw a cop coming in the opposite direction, but I thought nothing of it. He then did a U turn a ways behind me and flipped his blue lights as I was pulling away from a traffic light. I didn't even think he was pulling me over, I had no clue what was going on.

Well apparantly, the cop claims I was doing 69 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. I couldn't believe it, but I had no clue since I was paying attention to directions and I knew I had 2.9 miles before my next turn. The cop gave me the ticket with no fines written on it and told me I have to appear in court since I was doing 24 MPH over the speed limit.

I know that in NC if you get a ticket over 55 mph or 15 mph over the speed limit, you lose your license for 30 days. Does this apply to out of state drivers? Can they really suspend my license in all states? People keep telling me to try for a Prayer for Judgement, but I'm seeing that you have to be doing less than 15 mph over the speed limit to get that. Hopefully they will show mercy and let me go for it if out of state drivers have that privelage.

Does anyone have any advice? If I get nabbed with this ticket, it may boost my insurance in PA, and if I move to NC, I will have 3 license points and 2 insurance points (thats a 45% increase!!)

If anyone can clear anything up or suggest anything, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

Provided you have no other tickets the previous three years, an experienced traffic attorney can get it reduced to 9 over. Cost will be $350 to $1,000 depending on where, what and who. But it is no muss, no fuss, no stress and no sitting on court for 6 hours since you will not need to be there.

You can try to do this on your own if you can present yourself credibly and professionally. Apologize for being distracted and request a reduction to 9 over. If they say no deal, plead not guilty and find a good lawyer.

Look for someone experienced with traffic law with an office near the court house. It's worth going to traffic court a couple hours one morning to observe who is getting the best results.

NC can (and will) suspend you privledge to drive in NC. You need to talk to PA DMV to dfind out what happens when reported back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">