• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can your attorney settle a civil suit without your consent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtpockets

What is the name of your state? CA

I was informed of a settlement conference via voicemail late in the afternoon of the previous day. I was able to attend, but am wondering if the failure to give me advance notice was merely an oversight.

The retainer agreement states that I have to agree to any settlement. Would my attorney have had the authority to agree to a settlement without my consent if I had been unable to attend the settlement conference on such short notice (or failed to retrieve the voicemail on time)?

Thanks.

weenor

Under the rules of ethics, an attorney must have your consent to settle any case. If you could not have attended the conference, your attorney would have contacted you prior to agreeing to a specific settlement amount. Often clients give a certain settlement authority- the amount they are willing to take- and the lawyer negotiates from there to try and get as much above that authority as he/she can. The attorney communicates with the client and makes recommendations. Ultimately it is the client's decision about whether to accept a certain amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">