• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

An illegal left turn violation...can I fight it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tropheemom

Utah.

I recently received a ticket for turning left into the extreme right lane. I would like to fight it for several reasons. First, I was following behind a large box truck who was going slow enough that I decided switch lanes from the extreme left to the extreme right (meaning I was in the left lane for a VERY short time). This stretch of main road is access to the Interstate and most times it is necessary to get in the extreme right because of "bumper to bumper" traffic. The officer who pulled me over was parked on the shoulder of this main road (which is under construction) a short ways away from the traffic light. I immediately pulled to the left again to give him room (what I thought was an expected courtesy from citizens) and pulled right again to access the turn for the Interstate. I believe he thought I was "overcompensating" for my illegal turn. Finally, the traffic light where I turned left had a green left turn signal with a red light. Doesn't that give me "right of way"? Do I have must of a case to fight this or does anyone have any suggestions on how to fight it in court? $82 is a lot to pay for a violation I don't think I committed!What is the name of your state?

rmet4nzkx

tropheemom said:
Utah.

I recently received a ticket for turning left into the extreme right lane. I would like to fight it for several reasons. First, I was following behind a large box truck who was going slow enough that I decided switch lanes from the extreme left to the extreme right (meaning I was in the left lane for a VERY short time). This stretch of main road is access to the Interstate and most times it is necessary to get in the extreme right because of "bumper to bumper" traffic. The officer who pulled me over was parked on the shoulder of this main road (which is under construction) a short ways away from the traffic light. I immediately pulled to the left again to give him room (what I thought was an expected courtesy from citizens) and pulled right again to access the turn for the Interstate. I believe he thought I was "overcompensating" for my illegal turn. Finally, the traffic light where I turned left had a green left turn signal with a red light. Doesn't that give me "right of way"? Do I have must of a case to fight this or does anyone have any suggestions on how to fight it in court? $82 is a lot to pay for a violation I don't think I committed!What is the name of your state?
Sure you can tell the judge your story and perhaps they will have mercy on you or perhaps you can petition for traffic school, which may cost more than the fine but not give you points on your ticket but you will have to check with your court to see if that is available in your jurisdiciton. http://www.utcourts.gov/howto/traffic/
You are lucky your fine was only $85 dollars, many jurisdictions double or treble fines in construction zones. Were the lines clearly marked on the road surface and or signs correct?

The Occultist

All turns must be made into the most immediate lane in the direction you are going, regardless of the fact that you had a green arrow. Other people breaking the law is no excuse for you to break the law. When you make the turn, you need to correctly make it into the first lane, and then you may signal right to change lanes. That is what the law says you need to do, and you failed to do it. The car going slowly in front of you does not excuse it in the least. Obviously, you can try to cry your heart out to the judge and he may see things your way. I don't think he will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">