• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce when other party isn't there?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

snugglebuggg

Can you get divorced even if the party your divorcing isn't
around? If you don't know their where-abouts? I'm in Indiana. I've heard that you can put a notice in the paper of what you plan on doing and if they don't respond then the judge will grant a divorce is that true? He was there for the beginning of the divorce but then he moved away, don't know where.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

snugglebuggg said:
Can you get divorced even if the party your divorcing isn't
around? If you don't know their where-abouts? I'm in Indiana. I've heard that you can put a notice in the paper of what you plan on doing and if they don't respond then the judge will grant a divorce is that true? He was there for the beginning of the divorce but then he moved away, don't know where.

My response:

Well, you are correct . . . to a degree.

You'll need the assistance of an attorney to arrange, with a court's approval, to have the Summons for divorce published.

It's a complicated and expensive procedure, designed to afford a litigant's Constitutional rights of Notice that there is a pending action and that other rights may be affected if no response is made to the publication.

It's not just simply a matter of calling up your local newspaper and placing an ad in the "personals" section.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">