• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roofing contractor disappeared

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ruthiedee

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My house suffered pretty extensive wind damage during Katrina and I settled with insurance for a new slate roof. I put a deposit down with a company and signed a contract agreeing that the balance would be paid upon completion of the job and receipt of insurance funds. The contract was signed in February, and the roofing crew finished the job in April with the exception of a few minor repairs that the contractor assured us would be completed. I received an invoice for several thousand dollars more than the contract price a few weeks later. My husband and I attempted to contact our contractor to discuss this, but he never returned our calls and his office phone has been disconnected. The central company is located in Oklahoma, and a few weeks later someone knocked on our door claiming to be a representative from the company coming to collect on the job (he also told us that our contractor was no longer with the company). My husband explained that the invoice was incorrect and that there was some remaining work to do, and the rep seemed nice enough and said that the company would take care of it. He returned the next week with another rep and they took a closer look at the roof, and we've never heard from him since. This was over a month ago. Since then, we've made repeated calls to the Oklahoma office (as well as to this rep's cell phone) but no one is responding.

So, here's my question: I have the money to settle the contract, and I'm certainly willing to pay provided that the company holds up their end of the deal, but how long am I legally expected to wait for the company to contact us before we move forward? If they have no intention of making the necessary repairs, we can hire someone else to do it, but then we would certainly want to deduct this expense from the amounts owed. There are substantial amounts of money involved here (over 13K) and we don't want to have this hanging over our heads indefinitely. What would you advise that we do?

seniorjudge

ruthiedee said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My house suffered pretty extensive wind damage during Katrina and I settled with insurance for a new slate roof. I put a deposit down with a company and signed a contract agreeing that the balance would be paid upon completion of the job and receipt of insurance funds. The contract was signed in February, and the roofing crew finished the job in April with the exception of a few minor repairs that the contractor assured us would be completed. I received an invoice for several thousand dollars more than the contract price a few weeks later. My husband and I attempted to contact our contractor to discuss this, but he never returned our calls and his office phone has been disconnected. The central company is located in Oklahoma, and a few weeks later someone knocked on our door claiming to be a representative from the company coming to collect on the job (he also told us that our contractor was no longer with the company). My husband explained that the invoice was incorrect and that there was some remaining work to do, and the rep seemed nice enough and said that the company would take care of it. He returned the next week with another rep and they took a closer look at the roof, and we've never heard from him since. This was over a month ago. Since then, we've made repeated calls to the Oklahoma office (as well as to this rep's cell phone) but no one is responding.

So, here's my question: I have the money to settle the contract, and I'm certainly willing to pay provided that the company holds up their end of the deal, but how long am I legally expected to wait for the company to contact us before we move forward? If they have no intention of making the necessary repairs, we can hire someone else to do it, but then we would certainly want to deduct this expense from the amounts owed. There are substantial amounts of money involved here (over 13K) and we don't want to have this hanging over our heads indefinitely. What would you advise that we do?

A month is not very long.

In any event, at some point you will have to decide to move forward. Just make sure that you can document in a court of law that you tried to contact the first bunch and that they had disappeared off the face of the earth. (Just failing to return phone calls will not be good enough.)

acmb05

seniorjudge said:
A month is not very long.

In any event, at some point you will have to decide to move forward. Just make sure that you can document in a court of law that you tried to contact the first bunch and that they had disappeared off the face of the earth. (Just failing to return phone calls will not be good enough.)

I would h ave the roof checked by another company to make sure the job was done right. It is quite possible that the two reps noticed some major problem with the installation of the slate roof and they are trying to figure out what they are going to do about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">