• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

garnashment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

coty557

i recently been sued for credit card debt---i work for social security {federal government --can my salary be garnhed

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

coty557 said:
i recently been sued for credit card debt---i work for social security {federal government --can my salary be garnhed
My response:

Yes. The federal Consumer Credit Protection Act (CCPA) permits a creditor to garnish up to 25% of an employees net earnings.

The provisions of the CCPA are administered and enforced by the Department of Labor, Employment Standards Administration, Washington, DC. If you would like further clarification of this law and possibly contest this garnishment, you can contact them at (202) 219-8743.

Good luck.

IAAL

T

TimC

IAAL, are you fairly certain of that? I was under the impression that employees of the federal government were not subject to garnishments. I know that sounds very odd, but for some reason it sticks in my mind as being true.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TimC said:
IAAL, are you fairly certain of that? I was under the impression that employees of the federal government were not subject to garnishments. I know that sounds very odd, but for some reason it sticks in my mind as being true.

My response:

Generally, mine is a true statement. I say that because our writer never told us her State name, and Federal rules and laws bow to State laws when a State allows garnishment of wages, or when there is no comparable Federal law on the subject.

As you know, not all States allow garnishment; so, generally speaking, Federal wages are allowed to be garnished if State law allows garnishment.

If the obverse were true, then we'd all be working for the Post Office, or some other Federal department, and "just go to town" with our credit cards, and thumb our noses at the creditors - - or, no creditor in their right mind would extend credit to a Federal worker.

And because our writer didn't tell us her State name, that's why I included the phone number for her to call and double check.

She can tell them her State name, I'm sure.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 12-22-2000 at 12:43 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">