• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was doing 98mph in 70mph Zone in Iowa [license from IL] Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KILR-RYD

Hi, I am from IL and was travelling between Kansas city and chicago. I got caught somewhere mid way doing 98mph, now I know I was doing around 90 but didnt know I was doing 98, anyhow its possible. It didnt help that I was driving a sports car that too yellow.

Anyhow now I want to know my options, someone told me I could call the number on the ticket and try and do a deferred adjudication. Now I dont know much about it, but I couldnt find a number in the back of the ticket for inquires. Anyhow the other option is to take driving school, but I dont know if Iowa offers this.

Basically I want this to go away from my record. My record was just starting to cleanup, since I hadnt got a ticket in 3+ yrs and my last interstate speeding ticket was almost 6 yrs ago which wouldnt help since that too in Iowa I believe.

Anyhow any good lawyers I could consult on this, would this cause my lincese to get suspended? Iowa's law is 25+ and IL's is 40+, but I dont know how to translate that, 40+ the posted limit at the time of driving or 40+ IL speed limit?

Please some one help me get this off...

:confused: :mad:

I dont know what I was thinking doing 90+, I was actually following a minivan doing 100-105 and lost them in an exit some miles back, so now I had 2 other cars following me, so I became the car in front instead of the minivan..

rmet4nzkx

Why don't you call the IA court and see what your options are? You may still have to appear in court and possibly have the speed reduced but I have a feeling you may not have much luck in that regard. I hate to ask you how you knew a minivan was going 105?:rolleyes: You might want to get a different car, perhaps not a sports car and not a red or a yellow one.

sukharev

yeah, I can see anybody getting carried away while driving a beautiful and powerful car on a clear road :eek:

Well, you have two simple options:

1) appear in person, plead guilty and and hope for reduction below suspension limit. If you don't get a reduction, you better be traveling there by bus...

2) call up the lawyer in the area close to the court. Best bet is yellowpages.com. You will likely get a free consultation, an estimate for how much it costs and whether you have to still appear in person.

A deferred adjudication is either not available or hard to get with this high of a speed. It's unlikely that you would get this off your record, but there is a small chance a lawyer may be able to negotiate and reduce it to some other violation that does not get reported back to IL. Consider this as inevitable loss and price for being careless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">