• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They released my medical information to my employer!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pataylor

What is the name of your state? Texas

I work for a not-for-profit Private Fire Department that acts in the capacity as a municipal Fire Department. We look like a Duck, quack like a Duck, but don't get all the municipal benefits.

However, the company does provide us the opprotunity to have a yearly physical. A separate, private company comes to the stations and provides this service. The company in the process uses this opprotunity to do a yearly drug screen on the employees.

The day of the examination we fill out medical history packets. I listed medications that I have been perscribed. I asked the lady doing the drug screen portion to list the medications and my family doctors name and number on the drug screen form as well. Lastly I asked the doctor doing the exam to make mention of the medications in his notes. I know that one of the medications will be seen in the screen.

I asked their procedure for who and how they notify me and the company of a positive screen.

They stated that a Medical Review Doctor will contact ME first, he will ask me to provide him with the proof that this is a valid perscription. (Physicians name and number, pharmacy name and perscription #). If I am unable to provide that information they would notify the company of a positive drug screen. If I could provide valid information they would never contact the employer.

Two months after the screen I was contacted by my Deputy Chief saying I tested positive, and proceeded to tell me the medication I tested positive for. I was then told I needed to contact this Medical Review Doctor with this other company and get it cleared up before I would be allowed to come back to work.

I contacted that Doctor immediately, gave him the information, it was verified as valid right there while I was talking to him.

I then asked why his company released my information to my employer, and did not follow their own proceedures and contact me prior to telling the employer. I also asked why they released the specifc name of the medication. Any individual with half a brain can figure out what I'm being treated for just by knowing the medication. He said his company would not do that. I informed him that he had, I also now have a copy of the document with his signature on it.

Do I have legal recourse against this company.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">