• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY resident speeding in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ilyusha

Hello.
I'm a New York resident that was given two tickets in New Jersey yesterday by the same police officer. The first one was for speeding 98MPH in 65MPH zone. The second ticket he gave me was for Reckless Driving (he said he had to give it to me, since my speed was over 93MPH). My question is how should I proceed? What should I expect? Will I get the points on my NY license?

Thanks in advance.

You Are Guilty

ilyusha said:
Hi.
ilyusha said:
I'm a New York resident that was given two tickets in New Jersey yesterday by the same police officer.
Not your day, huh?
ilyusha said:
The first one was for speeding 98MPH in 65MPH zone.
Cool!
ilyusha said:
The second ticket he gave me was for Reckless Driving (he said he had to give it to me, since my speed was over 93MPH).
Awesome!
My question is how should I proceed?
I generally recommend going forward. (The whole "time travel" thing not being invented yet is the reason.)
ilyusha said:
What should I expect?
A lot of fine$.
ilyusha said:
Will I get the points on my NY license?
For the tickets themselves, no. (And this just applies to DMV points - not insurance company points). However, if NJ tries to revoke your license because of the reckless, then that can mean trouble for you in NY.

My recommendation: hire the best NJ traffic lawyer you can afford.
ilyusha said:
Thanks in advance.
You're welcome in retrospect.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">