• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlane58

Not in Kentucky IAAL.

State laws that prohibit employment discrimination against smokers:

Arizona (public employers only) • Colorado • Connecticut • District of Columbia • Illinois • Indiana • Kentucky • Louisiana • Maine • Minnesota • Mississippi • Missouri

ecmst12

For being a smoker, or for smoking at work? For smelling like smoke at work? For taking too many breaks to go smoke while at work?

RandyL72

ecmst12 said:
For being a smoker, or for smoking at work? For smelling like smoke at work? For taking too many breaks to go smoke while at work?
For being a smoker, and smelling like smoke at work. The way I feel about it is that what I do on my own time is my business and I don't take anymore than 3 or 4 smoke breaks in a 9 hour shift.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Actually, no, that is not the correct answer in the poster's state. It would be in most states, yes. But KY law does prohibit an employer from firing an employee because they smoke.

It would NOT be illegal to fire an employee because they violated company policy regarding the taking of smoke breaks, but JUST because he smokes? No, not legal in KY.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/344-00/040.PDF

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">