• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee vs. independent contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MRichardson

I am currently employed full time with one company and I am considering independent consulting work for another company. I plan to work both jobs simultaneously. Therefore at the end of the year I would file a W-2 form as well as a 1099 form. Is this permissible under the same tax ID number, which is currently my SSN. Or would I need to get a separate Tax ID for the independent contractor work, therefore filing as a sole proprietor? What else should I be considering in terms of legal issues with contractor agreement (to protect myself) and tax implications? Please help. Also, I reside in MD. Where do you recommend I go or call to get free advice in person--the SBA??? Thank you very much!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">