• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandoned by divorce lawyer... now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schadenfreudett

State: Texas

On January 3, 2006, I visited a lawyer to file divorce. I had a legal plan through my employer and a no-contest divorce was convered under the ARAG policy. She took my case, I gave her $250 to cover any court fees, and she sent me on my way. I was advised that it would take 2-4 weeks to draw up the papers and to give her a call after that.

So I start calling in February. No response. Send a fax. No response. Repeat for March. No response. Finally, on April 13, I drop by her office in person. Her son is there, working on my file coincidentally, and we go over my case AGAIN.

It is the simplest case ever. My ex is not protesting. We've agreed to the standard visitation for the kids. We have no property or assets to divide. We've been separated 2 years. We just want the paperwork finalized.

Here it is, another 2 months have passed and I've not heard from her. When I called today, her phone has been disconnected, as well as her fax.

So, should I kiss my $250 goodbye and shop for another lawyer? Do I have any recourse in this matter? Is this LEGAL?

Frustrated and still married,
Ashley

seniorjudge

schadenfreudett said:

On January 3, 2006, I visited a lawyer to file divorce. I had a legal plan through my employer and a no-contest divorce was convered under the ARAG policy. She took my case, I gave her $250 to cover any court fees, and she sent me on my way. I was advised that it would take 2-4 weeks to draw up the papers and to give her a call after that.

So I start calling in February. No response. Send a fax. No response. Repeat for March. No response. Finally, on April 13, I drop by her office in person. Her son is there, working on my file coincidentally, and we go over my case AGAIN.

It is the simplest case ever. My ex is not protesting. We've agreed to the standard visitation for the kids. We have no property or assets to divide. We've been separated 2 years. We just want the paperwork finalized.

Here it is, another 2 months have passed and I've not heard from her. When I called today, her phone has been disconnected, as well as her fax.

So, should I kiss my $250 goodbye and shop for another lawyer? Do I have any recourse in this matter? Is this LEGAL?

Ashley

File a complaint with the state bar.

http://www.texasbar.com/Template.cfm?Section=pamphlets&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=7085

Alex McGrady

schadenfreudett said:

Ashley
Yes, I agree with seniorjudge. Your lawyer should have been more professional. Especially during such a difficult time for you.

Try here (located on the Texas Bar website):

For help in resolving problems between clients and attorneys. Contact CAAP at (800) 932-1900 or (800) 204-2222, ext. 1790. Send letters: Attn: CAAP, PO Box 12487, Austin, Tx 78711-2487.

Get you money back and if your lawyer has not completed any work on your case, just look for someone else. See if you can find a lawyer that one of your friends or family members can recommend.

Good Luck!

Alex

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">