• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wall Collapsed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Derrick1

What is the name of your state? NJ, During new construction of home garage wall collapsed after couple of days. Architect and builder pointing finger at each other, rebars were suppose to be installed but were not, clearly visible through big cracks of collapsed wall on ground. still builder refuses his fault, Pl. what kind of expert would be required, eg: structural engineer, etc. does home owner needs to bear the cost to rebuild ? pictures were taken by builder, artichect and home owner.:mad:

John Se

Was the wall finished?

Derrick1 said:
What is the name of your state? NJ, During new construction of home garage wall collapsed after couple of days. Architect and builder pointing finger at each other, rebars were suppose to be installed but were not, clearly visible through big cracks of collapsed wall on ground. still builder refuses his fault, Pl. what kind of expert would be required, eg: structural engineer, etc. does home owner needs to bear the cost to rebuild ? pictures were taken by builder, artichect and home owner.:mad:

sounds like it wasnt finished, i.e grouted. If not then its really the builders problem since he still has to finish. You do grout masonry in NJ correct?

fairisfair

huh???? how would you build a brick wall without the "grout"??? this isn't like tiling a bathroom where you come back and put the "grout" in later. Generally any wall over 3 ft high would be reinforced with rebar. This appears to me to be a builder issue.

Derrick1

Builder was suppose to install rebars and also fill the blocks with cement in the walls. breakage in collapsed wall on ground does not revel any rebars installed, contrary to letter from the mason. it's open and shut case but builder stands by his sub contractor and wants me to pay now or might charge for 2 weeks delay in my response. :mad:

fairisfair

Of course they want you to pay again, no way would I pay for this. Is your contractor licensed??

This may not be the right place, but they should be able to direct you to some kind of help.

New Jersey
Dept. of Community Affairs
Bureau of Homeowner Protection
New Home Warranty Program
PO Box 805
Trenton, NJ 08625-0805
www.state.nj.us/dca/index.html
(609) 530-8800

Derrick1

Thank you fairsfair. i am getting structural engineer to verify and then might have to testify in court that there are no rebars and blocks are not cement filled as per plan. some where on internet i read that the laws are for the builders and does not help home owners as much as it support crooked builders. :mad:

John Se

Inspections

Derrick1 said:
Thank you fairsfair. i am getting structural engineer to verify and then might have to testify in court that there are no rebars and blocks are not cement filled as per plan. some where on internet i read that the laws are for the builders and does not help home owners as much as it support crooked builders. :mad:

Does your city require inspections? if so the "masonry grout" inspection would be signed off or they skipped it. This really quite unbelievable, Did your builder say the Wall Was Finished? was it topped out, were there bolts on top to hold the top plate?

You should call the city inspectors, there is something very wrong going on here!

John Se

Fairs fair:

fairisfair said:
huh???? how would you build a brick wall without the "grout"??? this isn't like tiling a bathroom where you come back and put the "grout" in later. Generally any wall over 3 ft high would be reinforced with rebar. This appears to me to be a builder issue.

It can be done and has been done, look at an older masonry home built around the late fifties or early sixties, usually 4-8-16 CMU, no vertical rebar or grouted columns. they are actually just fine once completed. but thats not how its done these days.

fairisfair

John Se said:
It can be done and has been done, look at an older masonry home built around the late fifties or early sixties, usually 4-8-16 CMU, no vertical rebar or grouted columns. they are actually just fine once completed. but thats not how its done these days.
sorry, I may be stuck in the 70's, but not the 50's or 60's!!! :D

Derrick1

Builder's stand is this passed inspection and it's not our fault, yes it did passed inspection but I can bet the inspector did not visited the site when the wall as being build to ensure that rebars and cement was filled in blocks, during the construction i was aware and i did send an email twice to the builder to look in to it, builder told me they have equipment//machnie where they will fill the blocks with cement after this 12 - 14 ft. height wall was completed, email was send twice to the builder but got no response and then in couple of days after rain it collapsed. :mad:

fairisfair

Derrick1 said:
Builder's stand is this passed inspection and it's not our fault, yes it did passed inspection but I can bet the inspector did not visited the site when the wall as being build to ensure that rebars and cement was filled in blocks, during the construction i was aware and i did send an email twice to the builder to look in to it, builder told me they have equipment//machnie where they will fill the blocks with cement after this 12 - 14 ft. height wall was completed, email was send twice to the builder but got no response and then in couple of days after rain it collapsed. :mad:
have you contacted the inspector??

Derrick1

No i have not contacted the inspector, but builder first said they will and now they believe it's not necessary. :mad:

fairisfair

Derrick1 said:
No i have not contacted the inspector, but builder first said they will and now they believe it's not necessary. :mad:
to heck with the builder, obviously he is just trying to get out of responsibility, call the inspector yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">