• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding and expired license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ihatecops

What is the name of your state?
New York

Today I got pulled over for doing 81 in a 55 zone. When I gave the officer my license and registration, I realized my license had expired 7 months ago. He gave me two tickets: one for the speeding and one for "Unlicensed operator". He then told me that I had to have my car towed, and about half an hour later the tow truck came. I was kind of scared, and so wasn't really thinking correctly. I then had my car towed to this car shop, and was told I couldn't pay for it with anything except cash. I had my friend come with the cash and had to pay 150$, which I thought was ridiculously expensive. So my questions are:

1) Did I have an option of not having the car towed, and just having two friends come to get me where the cop pulled me over to drive my car home?

2) Was the 150$ charge ridiculously overpriced? Is it normal for these car shops to refuse to accept anything but cash?

3) If I did have the option of not having my car towed, is it too late now to argue and try to get a reimbursement?

Thanks in advance.

racer72

I am not even going to read your post. Others may not either. Why you may ask??? It is your user name. Those of us that take our time to answer questions in these forums have some respect for police officers and the job they do. Based on your user name, you don't. So as of this time, you are persona non gratis and might as well go tell a tree your problem, you will more likely get a response.

moburkes

ihatecops said:
What is the name of your state?
New York

Today I got pulled over for doing 81 in a 55 zone. When I gave the officer my license and registration, I realized my license had expired 7 months ago. He gave me two tickets: one for the speeding and one for "Unlicensed operator". He then told me that I had to have my car towed, and about half an hour later the tow truck came. I was kind of scared, and so wasn't really thinking correctly. I then had my car towed to this car shop, and was told I couldn't pay for it with anything except cash. I had my friend come with the cash and had to pay 150$, which I thought was ridiculously expensive. So my questions are:

1) Did I have an option of not having the car towed, and just having two friends come to get me where the cop pulled me over to drive my car home?

2) Was the 150$ charge ridiculously overpriced? Is it normal for these car shops to refuse to accept anything but cash?

3) If I did have the option of not having my car towed, is it too late now to argue and try to get a reimbursement?

Thanks in advance.
Oops, I started to respond, but grandpa racer opened my eyes! Good luck!

JETX

moburkes said:
Oops, I started to respond, but grandpa racer opened my eyes! Good luck!
Yep. Me too.
Signed... I Hate Spoiled Idiots who think the laws don't apply to them.

ihatecops

iluvcops

racer72 said:
I am not even going to read your post. Others may not either. Why you may ask??? It is your user name. Those of us that take our time to answer questions in these forums have some respect for police officers and the job they do. Based on your user name, you don't. So as of this time, you are persona non gratis and might as well go tell a tree your problem, you will more likely get a response.
You're right...I don't really hate cops. I just hate this particular one because he was a tool to me. I was late to an interview because I fell asleep, all because I stayed up the previous night trying to prep. Yet this guy didn't want to hear any of it, and thus my member name; it was created when my anger was fresh.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
ihatecops said:
You're right...I don't really hate cops. I just hate this particular one because he was a tool to me. I was late to an interview because I fell asleep, all because I stayed up the previous night trying to prep. Yet this guy didn't want to hear any of it, and thus my member name; it was created when my anger was fresh.
Ummmm
who cares. He doesn't have to listen. You were speeding on an expired license. You got caught and ticketed for it. How is it the Cops fault?

bleh

The Occultist

So you were late because YOU were stupid and didn't plan your night out, and the cop is suppose to sympathize with that? I'll admit I haven't done a whole lot of studying into traffic law, but I'm fairly certain there are no subtexts that allow speeding as long as you are late for an interview you overslept for.

AHA

ihatecops said:
Today I got pulled over for doing 81 in a 55 zone.

Completely unacceptable behaviour on the road.

When I gave the officer my license and registration, I realized my license had expired 7 months ago. He gave me two tickets: one for the speeding and one for "Unlicensed operator".

Rightly so, not staying up to date on your license validity is just plain lazyness (sp).

Since you were speeding excessivly and didn't have a valid license, why should the cop trust YOUR friends to be better suited to drive? He obviously thought it would be safer for the other drivers on the road, if you or your friends were not driving

Not overpriced, and yes, many shops limit the payment options due to "drivers" not good for any credit cards or bounced checks.
You don't start loving cops the day after you hate them enough to create an account specifying that, but nice try. Make sure you stick to your beliefs if you ever become a victim, so that the cops don't waste their time and can go help/save respectful people.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">