• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is best way to handle exhibit. of speed ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sws9396

What is the name of your state? Ohio.

I live in Ohio and got a ticket in California for doing a burnout (exhibition of speed - 23109-C). I was in a rental car on vacation and stomped on the gas at a stop light and squeeled the tires. An officer saw me and gave me the ticket. It was a dumb thing to do and I got caught.

My problem is the ticket said that a court appearance was manditory. I called the court and was told I could pay the fine but was shocked at the penality. It's a misdemeanor charge with a $850 fine and 2-points on my license. Would I do better to go there in person and try to get a reduced sentence? I have a clean driving record and haven't had a ticket in ten years. At first I figured by the time I payed for a plane ticket to go out there and then payed a reduced fine (if I could get one) would probably make the cost a wash. But I am concerned that a misdemeanor charge will adversely effect my insurance. Could a court appointed lawer make an appearance for me? What is my best option?

lwpat

Check with the Ohio DMV to see how many points this will be (two is CA) and then your insurance carrier to determine if this will increase your insurance. Then you can decide your best course of action. An attorney may be able to negotiate a reduction without you having to appear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">