• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Incurred in my name by Spouse without Permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RSinclair

Before filing for Divorce, I would like to get completely out of debt. However, I've recently taken over the bills and have discovered that we have 11 different credit cards and a few of them are in MY name and I know that I didn't sign the application forms. What kind of legal standing do I have with regard to that debt? Is there any chance that debt would have to be my husband's responsibility even though my name is on the accounts?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

RSinclair said:
Before filing for Divorce, I would like to get completely out of debt. However, I've recently taken over the bills and have discovered that we have 11 different credit cards and a few of them are in MY name and I know that I didn't sign the application forms. What kind of legal standing do I have with regard to that debt? Is there any chance that debt would have to be my husband's responsibility even though my name is on the accounts?

My response:

We'd like to assist you; however, you apparently didn't see that red writing up at the top of the page. Without your State name, or the name of the State where the problem happened, it would be difficult to assist you. Laws are different everywhere.

Thank you for your cooperation, and we look forward to you editing your post.

IAAL

R

RSinclair

I'm sorry that I didn't include that we live in the State of Indiana. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">