• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does this invalidate the ticket ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gooddriver

What is the name of your state? new jersey--on a ticket for a moving violation- going thru a red light, when writing my plate # the officer wrote one digit wrong-He wrote an 8 instead of a b. is this a valid ticket?

Neal1421

gooddriver said:
What is the name of your state? new jersey--on a ticket for a moving violation- going thru a red light, when writing my plate # the officer wrote one digit wrong-He wrote an 8 instead of a b. is this a valid ticket?
Yes, it is.

racer72

The error does not prevent you from presenting a valid defense the the citation. The number 8 and letter B are extremely close to looking the same and could easily be confused for one another. Did you check to make sure the office dotted all the "I's", I have heard that used as an excuse to have a citation dismissed.

lwpat

I have heard that used as an excuse to have a citation dismissed.
Especially if you are speeding becasue you are low on gas and trying to get to a station before you run out.

OGofCRIMINALLAW

Best thing to do is to read the statute you were charged with. The procedures MUST match every point. If not, as Racer said, there's a chance the ticket can be DISMISSED for PROCEDURAL ERROR. Altho, i have to say juxtaposing the letter "B" for the number "8" is not that blatant, it might be worth it if the statute covers it.

Go here for New Jersey Statutes (Title 39 covers driving/traffic charges)
www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/traffic_orders

good luck...and let us know what happens!

Shay-Pari'e

OGofCRIMINALLAW said:
Best thing to do is to read the statute you were charged with. The procedures MUST match every point. If not, as Racer said, there's a chance the ticket can be DISMISSED for PROCEDURAL ERROR. Altho, i have to say juxtaposing the letter "B" for the number "8" is not that blatant, it might be worth it if the statute covers it.

Go here for New Jersey Statutes (Title 39 covers driving/traffic charges)
www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/traffic_orders

good luck...and let us know what happens!
Good Luck? He ran a red light and it could have been a disaster. *B* and *8*? Give me a break. IT WILL NOT FLY.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">