• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

traffic court info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

normal_guy

What is the name of your state? MN

I'm considering "challenging" a speeding ticket. What do I gain by pleading "guilty with an explanation"? what should I expect if/when I appear (Friday next)?
What's the likelihood that I succeed in at least getting the fine reduced/eliminated?

OGofCRIMINALLAW

Pleading Guilty With An Explanation is a viable strategy to get the fine reduced ONLY. (no guarantee). On the other hands, some judges don't like it; you're still guilty and you still get points. The main reason to use it is to possibly get the fine reduced. So per your question: THERE IS A CHANCE OF GETTING THE FINE REDUCED. BUT NO GUARANTEE.

Let us know how it went!...good luck!

normal_guy

explanation

the explanation is a combination of a bad location for 'accidentally' speeding and stress/an emergency at home (which is true: wife taking pet to the vet, etc.)

I was told by someone that (a) the officer may not show up (some never do) and (b) if they don't, then the ruling is "automatically" in my favor.

but I'm not even sure it's worth it...

angiesmom

normal_guy said:
the explanation is a combination of a bad location for 'accidentally' speeding and stress/an emergency at home (which is true: wife taking pet to the vet, etc.)

I was told by someone that (a) the officer may not show up (some never do) and (b) if they don't, then the ruling is "automatically" in my favor.

As far as the ruling automatically being in your favor, usually that is true, BUT the county or city attorney can argue in the officer's defense if there was a report written up. As for your explanation, sorry, but saying that your wife taking your pet to the vet wouldn't fly with the judge I know. (Not trying to sound rude)

Personally, the only reason I would bother taking the time and energy to fight a traffic ticket is to postpone it showing up on my insurance.

What county was the ticket given in?

The Occultist

normal_guy said:

I really don't think your "explanation" is going to accomplish much. And as far as the officer not showing up to court, that rarely happens, because officers get paid overtime to go to court, so it's something they like to take advantage of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">