• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exempt Employee working Overtime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chun-Li

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have a witch of a manager (now promoted to Director) who not only harrasses us, but makes us work ridiculous hours. Me and my co-workers are Exempt employees, but our Director demands that we work over 40 hours a week. Our company requires each associate to work a total of 37.50 hours a week. Instead, we work 10 hour work days. Some of my co-workers work from 6:30am in the morning to 8:00pm at night and sometimes she decides to throw in weekends and holidays. We are burned out, and she always brings issues at the last minute (like at 4pm in the evening when everyone is about done for the day). In addition, my director is in charge of 5 teams, but for some odd reason, she harasses our team by trying to sabatoge our hard work, so she can point a finger and blame mistakes on us; she has done this for many years. What should we do about: a) the excessive overtime for Exempt employees and b) the constant harrassment and singling out of our team? Thanks in advance for your advice.
:confused:

C

CheeseBlotto

It's not at all unusual for expempt employees to be expected to work more than 40 hours per week, in fact it's probably the norm.

Beth3

What should we do about: a) the excessive overtime for Exempt employees and b) the constant harrassment and singling out of our team? Look for another job.

Nothing illegal is taking place - not even close. If you're not happy with the terms and conditions of your employment, you are always free to leave.

angiesmom

As far as the harrassment and the supervisor being unfair, if you look through your employment manual it should explain how to report a complaint and provide a way to give that report to your supervisor's boss.

xylene

Chun-Li said:
What should we do about: a) the excessive overtime for Exempt employees and
You can do a few things:

Work slower.

Reduce productivity.

OR

Unionize.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The only thing that is going to result in an exempt employee being paid overtime is a change in the law. An exempt employee is NOT paid on the basis of how many hours are worked but on the value of the job to the company. And I'm sorry, but ten hour days are NOT considered excessive; many, many exempt employee would be grateful for a 50-hour workweek.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">