• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defective HVAC - How Long Do I Have to Let Developer Try to Resolve?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prescott

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Hello. I purchased a condominium unit in Mid-May from a developer who had gut renovated an existing property. The developer is an investor only, not the builder. In my purchase contract, I obtained a one-year warranty on all work executed by the developer.

Shortly after closing and prior to resolution of other punch-list items, we had a hot day and I noticed that the Central Air Conditioner was not working properly. I contacted the developer, who called her builder, who inspected the AC and determined it was "packed full of construction dust and debries". Several attempts the clean the cooling coil later, the AC is barely working and still not able to cool off the unit on hot days.

I've spoken to other HVAC installers. They believe the problem is that the ducting is inadequately sized and the developer's builder did not make adequate provision for installatoin of a filter (they just threw one in the bottom of the blower compartment which is ineffective).

When I call the developer now, she insists that the call her builder (my warranty is with her, however). This has been going on for a few weeks now.

I'm beginning to see that, in order to resolve the problem, I'm going to have to hire my own contractor to do the job right. I's becoming apparent that the cause is flawed installation and the developer and her builder are not stepping up to the plate to really fix it.

How long to I have to go in circles with the developer and her builder before I can hire someone to do the job right and demand payment for the cost from the developer? She never blantly says she won't fix it, but the fact is it's not getting fixed.

Also, what process do I need to follow? Do I write a letter and demand resolution in 30 days? Can I just get it fixed now?

Thanks for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">