• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyers in collusion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toby04

What is the name of your state? Utah
Tried to sell a piece of land last October and a cloud showed up on the title. We hired an attorney to do quiet title and one of the parties had an interest/lien on property in 1976, before it was sold to us in 1980. We should have done a title search then, I know now. Our attorney has requested proof from party showing interest and he has denied. We have a court date Oct. 3 In the meantime another of our family whose Dad (recently deceased) owned adjacent property(with same issue) went to another lawyer to probate the land his Dad left him. It turns out the lawyer handling the probate is the same one representing the other party in our case. We think the two lawyers are working together to draw out this case. We have spent 3,500 dollars and 9 months to sell a parcel of land worth 58,000.
My questions are:
What are the chances the two attorneys are working together "against us"?
Is this a long time/expense for this type of case?
Can I hope for a judgement in Oct. or likely to be continued?
I know these are vague, just looking for some general opinions to decide if I should find another lawyer. Thanks

BelizeBreeze

toby04 said:
My questions are:
What are the chances the two attorneys are working together "against us"?
From 0 to 100%
Is this a long time/expense for this type of case?
Depends on what you mean by a long time. Nine months to clear up a title when the other party is uncooperative and the courts are crowded with real cases isn't that long.
Can I hope for a judgement in Oct. or likely to be continued?
Yes, you have our permission to hope.
I know these are vague, just looking for some general opinions to decide if I should find another lawyer. Thanks
Then consult another attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">