• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect information on citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1gambit

What is the name of your state? Florida

I received a citation for speeding and when I went to pay the citation, I noticed my tag information was incorrect, and I then noticed that the whole automobile information was incorrect. I was not the only vehicle pulled over at the time, I was 1 of 3 cars the deputy had pulled over. He was by himself and had me listed as driving a 2002 Green Ford Pick-up when I was driving a 2003 Red Ford Focus - a 4 door sedan. I am not saying that I wasn't pulled over, but I don't remember what he told me he clocked me at, but the information on the ticket says 51 in 30. I am not sure I received the right citiation. I have put in to contest the ticket on these grounds. What does everyone else think?

1gambit

But I wasn't the only car he had pulled over at the time. I was one of from what I could tell, 3 cars he had pulled over at once. He was by himself, and was still walking out in front of cars for them to pull over too.

The Occultist

So? Somewhere is a citation matching your car description as well as the offense that occurred. You might catch a lucky break and get out of this by explaining to the judge that the description of your car on the citation in no way matches what you were driving, but don't be surprised if things get worked out on their end.

1gambit

SO then someone else could possibly have my speed and I could have theirs, thus resulting in a lower fine. I didn't recall what the office told me how fast I was going, so the speed listed on the citation could be incorrect and the person with the citation that matches my car's descriptiopn could have the speed that I was going and I could have theirs. It has cast a doubt in 2 former Deputies I have spoken too and a Supervisor at the DMV. They told it is hard to prove that that is the correct speed on my citation. I am not saying I wasn't speeding, I just don't think I was going that fast and should pay that high of a fine.

The Occultist

Well then it's something you need to bring up at your trial. At this point, only the prosecutor and the judge can make the decision to show leniency. Bring these points up in the courtroom (not the parts about who agrees with you, because nobody cares). If you show that the car description in NO WAY matches what's on the citation, you do have an opportunity to have it thrown out, and it has been done, if rarely. If you explain that yes you were speeding but you believe you have the wrong citation based on the aforementioned info and you would like to plead guilty to a lesser charge (this should be directed to the prosecutor), then you most likely have a great shot at that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">