• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Builder Damage To Lawn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

josephnj

What is the name of your state? NJ

I'm a renter of a new house. The landlord/owner paid a private party $1000 for landscaping (laying topsoil, fertilizer and seeding) the back yard, as only the front yard was sodded.

The back yard was starting to grow nicely when the builder decided to re-direct the drainage pipe coming from the rear of the house and attach it underground to the main drainage pipe at the end of the property draining into a community drainage. We're assuming they had easement rights.

In the process the tractor damaged the lawn as it went to and from the pipe digging, and the trench made was filled in with soil which also covered a large portion of the growing grass. Most recently, there is now a large sink-hole above the area where the pipes attach.

The owner has been calling the builder on a daily basis without any reply. Originally it was to find out if they were going to repair the damage to the lawn. Most recently, it is now becoming a dangerous situation, where anyone walking in the area could slip and fall into the sink-hole.

My questions are:

1. Is the builder responsible for repairing damage to a lawn in the process of making necessary chages to the drainage system?

2. If the builder doens't respond, or says it is not their responsibility, what can the owner do for (1) Get the builder to pay for damages (2) Get the sink-hole fixed immediately so that there is no liability for him or us as tenants, should someone hurt themselves.

Thank you for your assistance.

pojo2

Isn't this your landlords problem COMPLETELY? Why are you involving yourself to this extent?

josephnj

thank you for you question.

perhaps, i should be asking if I can incur any liability if someone falls into the sink hole and hurts themselves? i have renter's insurance, but i'm sure he has homeownerer insurance.

i agree that it is my landlord's responsibility, other than possibly the issue above. i was trying to help get some insight for him because he is very busy and i have some free time, and I received valuable insight in the past from your service.

If it is better that the landlord/owner posts directly, i will understand. If you can offer insight for him based on my post, that would be great too.

thank you for your understanding.
Joe/NJ

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">