• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, need answer before 12/27/00

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

janm057

I live in a small town in Georgia.In 1997,my middle son was convicted on mis. stolen check charge.My youngest son, 17,dated a deputy's daughter and they both committed a fraud crime but she turned the crime in to her father and she became a "witness" for the state and my son was convicted as a First Offender, 4 yr sentence.Since then he has been constantly harressed by the Sheriff's dept.He is presently on parole from 1998,the fraud charge.A month ago, my middle son was contacted by a detecive from this same Sheriff office, concerning a stolen check. His alibi was airtight and the signature didn't match.The detective then brought up some checks from 1997 and my youngest son's name.My middle son stated he knew nothing about those particular checks.Last night the detective called me, wanting to speak to my sons.He says if they don't "help" him and cooperate, he will file warrents for Forgery against them.I put him off until next Wednesday but I am worried that he will charge them and try to prove it later.My youngest son currently has a theft charge pending in this county going back two yrs.He has refused all plea offers and maintains his innocence.They have set this for trial 5 times but do not proceed.The DA even called his parole officer to get him revoked but the parole officer believes him innocent.It never ends with this county.Do they need to talk to this detective or risk a warrent and let him prove the case.I believe it is a trap and want them to avoid any questioning.Please advise.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

If you really want to be smart about this, you will stop playing dukes of hazard and hire an attorney at all costs. Just because this is a small town, doesn't make them immune from state supreme court and court of appeals scrutiny.

You hire a criminal defense attorney to be the boys' liaison with the sheriff and go from there. If this guy can press hard enough, he might be able to sue the county, and sheriff personally for malicious prosecution or invasion of privacy.

Try http://www.attorneypages.com or call the Georgia State Bar and ask for lawyer referral.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">