• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rongar

What is the name of your state? Texas

Alright, was on my way from gas station with cousin. Came across a stop sign, which I did stop at. Road was clear so I acceled to get across. At the middle of the intersection, another car hit me on passanger side door, totallying the car. Everyone was safe so the police were notified. This is was my first accident ever so had no idea how to react or what to expect. After the cop arrived, asked if everyone was alright. He then asked for license and insurance, but after that I was never questioned about what happened. He only question the guy who hit me in the middle of the intersection. I understand he did have the right of way, but when i checked if I had a clear path, i did. Was suprised the officer failed to ask me anything, information on accident or what happened. Only question the other guy involved in the accident. Failed to ask race or anything, because on the ticket, he profiled me as black when I'm not. Without asking any questions, gave me my court date and left. Not sure if it helps any but any advice or anything about what to do or what to expect at the court date would be appreciated. Thanks

Some Random Guy

Road was clear so I acceled to get across. At the middle of the intersection, another car hit me on passanger side door, totallying the car.
In other words the road was not clear.

I understand he did have the right of way
If you had a stop sign and he did not, the you are completely at fault here.

but when i checked if I had a clear path, i did.
Since your car is totalled, you obviously did not.

Was suprised the officer failed to ask me anything, information on accident or what happened
You are allowed to tell the offficerwhat happened without waiting for him to ask. But be warned that what you say can work against you.

Failed to ask race or anything, because on the ticket, he profiled me as black when I'm not
This has no bearing on your case unless you are going to try to claim in court that it was a case of identity theft.

Wait for more answers on the proper attire and demeanor for traffic court appearances.

CdwJava

I concur with Some Random Guy.

You were at fault. It is doubtful that anything you said would have effected the outcome of the situation anyway. And the race issue is based upon the perception of the viewing officer (as it is generally for descriptive purposes only and not for the Census Bureau) unless state statute requires the officer to obtain that info from the individual directly.

Speak to your insurance company about the damage, and consult an attorney about the possible criminal charge for the collision.

- Carl

moburkes

Rongar said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

Alright, was on my way from gas station with cousin. Came across a stop sign, which I did stop at. Road was clear so I acceled to get across. At the middle of the intersection, another car hit me on passanger side door, totallying the car. Everyone was safe so the police were notified. This is was my first accident ever so had no idea how to react or what to expect. After the cop arrived, asked if everyone was alright. He then asked for license and insurance, but after that I was never questioned about what happened. He only question the guy who hit me in the middle of the intersection. I understand he did have the right of way, but when i checked if I had a clear path, i did. Was suprised the officer failed to ask me anything, information on accident or what happened. Only question the other guy involved in the accident. Failed to ask race or anything, because on the ticket, he profiled me as black when I'm not. Without asking any questions, gave me my court date and left. Not sure if it helps any but any advice or anything about what to do or what to expect at the court date would be appreciated. Thanks
The others gave correct info (I know, nice of me to acknowledge:p ), but what was your question?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">