• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have bill of sale - no title.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Federale

Georgia.

I bought a 1991 Chevy truck from an individual through craigslist. I paid cash(I know, stupid). The title was signed over to him by the previous owner of the truck. He just never had it transferred into his name. He wrote me out a bill of sale and gave me the title.

I took the title to the tag office and they said he had to have the title put in his name and then sign the new title over to me. I sent the title back to him about three weeks ago. I have not heard anything from him. I have emailed and left voicemails, but no response. He seemed to always be there when it was time to sell the vehicle, but not now.

So, I don't know what to do at this point. I know he bought the truck from a used car lot. They won't help since there is no more money in it for them. I have the truck sitting in my driveway. It has insurance. I have a bill of sale(he wrote the title number on the bill of sale, also). There is no tag or registration, so at the moment it is useless.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

genivieve

Federale said:
Georgia.

I bought a 1991 Chevy truck from an individual through craigslist. I paid cash(I know, stupid). The title was signed over to him by the previous owner of the truck. He just never had it transferred into his name. He wrote me out a bill of sale and gave me the title.

I took the title to the tag office and they said he had to have the title put in his name and then sign the new title over to me. I sent the title back to him about three weeks ago. I have not heard anything from him. I have emailed and left voicemails, but no response. He seemed to always be there when it was time to sell the vehicle, but not now.

So, I don't know what to do at this point. I know he bought the truck from a used car lot. They won't help since there is no more money in it for them. I have the truck sitting in my driveway. It has insurance. I have a bill of sale(he wrote the title number on the bill of sale, also). There is no tag or registration, so at the moment it is useless.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
The reason this person is avoiding you, is because he would have to pay sales tax on the vehicle along with title fees. He has took your money and ran. What you have come acrossed is called-- TITLE JUMPING. Which is one person buy a vehicle dirt cheap, paints up a fender, shampoos the carpet, and then sells it to the next person for profit. He is acting like a dealer without the license.

You need to first send a certified letter to the person who sold you that car. Tell him you will be filing with small claims court and DMV. It is illegal to title jump, calling DMV and filing a complaint would put alittle pressure on this persons a@s.

If all else fails, file with small claims for you money back in full plus expenses. Insurance, repairs, etc etc.

Federale

Ok, will try that route.

I guess you really cannot trust anyone nowadays. I mean, the guy is a school teacher at Chamblee Charter High Shcool for goodness sakes. At least that is what he told me and that is where his email comes from. His phone number goes to his cell, though.

Thanks for the advice :cool:

P.S. Sorry had this last thought. Am I safe having the vehicle? All I have is the bill of sale. Although I cannot legally drive it, will the police be coming after me if someone where to claim it stolen?

Last edited:

genivieve

Federale said:
Ok, will try that route.

I guess you really cannot trust anyone nowadays. I mean, the guy is a school teacher at Chamblee Charter High Shcool for goodness sakes. At least that is what he told me and that is where his email comes from. His phone number goes to his cell, though.

Thanks for the advice :cool:
LOL a teacher. Most title jumpers are teachers, real estate agents, and cops. They are all looking for an extra buck. Good luck. Make sure you press the issue with DMV about the title jumping. Most DMVs are slow and care not for pursing these things because they are overwhelmed with shady car dealers. Then again with the right state they can get pretty ugly when a jumper is skipping them out on tax money.

Federale

"I would say more than likely he couldn’t find the previous owner to title and was told he would have to bond for title to have one to transfer to you. If you are not able to locate the seller and have a complete chain of ownership you will have to bond for title.

Bonded titles are based on a value of the vehicle. Contact an insurance company that issues surety bonds for more accurate information.

Thank you,
DOR - MVD"

This is the response I get after explaining the guy has the title. I had the title in my hand, but the local DMV said HE would have to have it transferred into his name and then sign it over to me. We live in different counties. I guess I live in one of the states where they don't care.

I did send the DMV a kinda "WTF" type email. It was like the read the subject and that was all.

I guess I need to look into the surety bond thing.

Odie

I one time had the same issue - Got the BBB involved, but I had to pay tax 2 times!

Yup, make sure you see the tile, and its in that person's name.

I know your pain, been there felt that!:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">