• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and Run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jessaro

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My car was hit while it was parked and I was getting into the car. The other driver struck the drivers door (and almost took my leg off) and took off. I called the police and filed a report, and I reported the accident to my insurance company. The police found the owner/operator of the car that struck mine based on partial plates by a witness. I then identified the car that struck mine. The problem is, the owner of the car does not have a license, but his car is registered. What are my rights? Am I able to sue the owner/operator of the car that hit mine?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
jessaro said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My car was hit while it was parked and I was getting into the car. The other driver struck the drivers door (and almost took my leg off) and took off. I called the police and filed a report, and I reported the accident to my insurance company. The police found the owner/operator of the car that struck mine based on partial plates by a witness. I then identified the car that struck mine. The problem is, the owner of the car does not have a license, but his car is registered. What are my rights? Am I able to sue the owner/operator of the car that hit mine?
Sue for what? From your post, it sounds like you were at fault for opening your door in to traffic when it wasn't safe to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">