• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No money to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ingie53

What is the name of your state? CA

I have a red-light camera ticket due tomorrow, for which I had already had 2 extensions and for which I was going to attend traffic school. I could not get all the money for the fine together- I am currently unemployed, but do "side Jobs" from time to time- because a job fell through.
The list of options posted in the court room said once you opt for traffic school you cannot do community service in lieu of paying the fine. Does that mean that I have to do jail time ?
Or will the judge accept whatever money I have and give me an extension for the rest?
Is community service really not an option any more?

If I decide not to go to court, but wait until I have all the money for the fine, which could take another month, how soon will they issue a bench warrant?

garrula lingua

Never miss a court date --- it's omtempt of Judge & you can/will be remanded (jailed).

The best way is to go to court before the fine is due & ask that they calendar your case - hopefully the clerk will send it into court that same day (immediately is great).

Tell the Judge you don''t have the money; ask for community service or another extension.

You'll know the Judge's position, before the fine is due. Follow the Judge's instructions.

If the Judge threatens jail & won't budge on cash, borrow the money if you can.

If you get jail, depending on your county, you'll only do a few days in jail (they're so overcrowded, you should be released quickly - often the same day).
Your base fine is worth about $30 per jail day.
Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">