• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

construction problems/ garage pulling away from house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eubie5

What is the name of your state? IN

had a 3 car attached garage added to my house about 4.5 years ago. it is falling in on itself and pulling away from the house, causing all kinds of extensive damage. i hired a structural engineer to tell me what happened and what it will take to fix it. he states it was built incorrectly and noted many, many mistakes. mainly, the roof had no where near the proper support to handle the weight of the span. the garage cost about 24,000 to build and will cost about 13,000 to fix to engineer's specs. the builder said we are out of luck, that there's nothing he is willing to do. he won't even come look at the damage. the only thing we have are the canceled check totalling about 24,000 that we paid him. he say's he doesn't have the money to fix it, yet he lives in a nice BIG house a couple of miles away from me. if he didn't have the cash, could i still get a judgement and place a lien against his house?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

justalayman

It would depend somewhat on his company structure and ownership of the home.

If he has incorporated, his personal assets may not be reachable. For this amount of money, I would seek an local attorney to review all applicable information and advise you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">