• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can we lose our car and house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

W4TP

Our 17 year old daughter is dating a guy we think is using drugs. She just got her driver licnese. If they get stopped and find drugs in our car can we lose our car and our house?
If so she wants to buy her own car. If this car is in our name can we lose our house again if they get stopped and find drugs in the car. We live in Penna.

W

W4TP

What about the house HomeGuru

Thanks for your answer about the car. We are more worried about the goverment taking our home we have worked so hard to get.

J

jimmy40

This should be number concern--DAUGHTER
If she is going with someone you think is connected to drugs and she won't listen to you. Why in world would you let her use your car or buy her one. If police find drugs in your home, you could be in trouble if they think your daughter is selling from your house. They can say that the money made from selling drugs help pay for the house. Unlikely though that the police would take your house unless you're the one selling the drugs. It really strikes me funny though that you main concern about your post is your materialistic attitude rather than what would happen to your daughter. If that is your main concern, no wonder your daughter hooked up to a druggy to escape a person like yourself. Maybe you need to lose everything and maybe you'll find out what the most important thing in life isn't something you can BUY!!!

Not a lawyer, just an observer of people who love money more than family!

W

W4TP

Jimmy
First we are not leting our daughter use our cars because of this and second we were not going to buy her a car. She has worked since she was 13 and saved up over $5,000 of her own money to get her OWN car. She wanted to have it put in our name so her insurance would be cheaper. UNDERSTAND NOW.
As for losing our home we have other kids still at home to worry about.
You don't think we have fought and pleaded with our daughter not to date this guy. I can tell from you reply that all your kids are perfect just like you. And they never give you any heart ache.
All our kids are FIRST in our life. Even this one we pray she see's the guy for what he is but if she don't no amount of fighting will stop her from seeing him.

J

jimmy40

I do feel for you and understand the headache you must be going through. My brother-in-law was addicted to drugs. Two years ago he was murdered by a drug dealer. Life hasn't been the same in my house since. We tried to get him to get help, but always said he didn't have a problem. He lived with us three different times and we were hoping he'd finally get his act together. It's very tough to see someone you love be blinded by things that are so obvious to others. I wish you the best of luck. The only advice I could give at this point is, if she's old enough to make her decisions on who she dates, she grown up enough to pay for her own car and insurance. Explain to her that because of the situation she's put you in with her boyfriend, it isn't fair for the rest of your family to be put at risk. It's that simple. Unfortunately, she's probably in love with this guy and at her young age, she doesn't understand the responsibility that comes along with being a responsible person and taking care of a whole family. Sorry I was so rough on you in the earlier post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">